England’s ODI Squad for South Africa series announced, Lauren Bell and Issy Wong earn maiden call-up

After a riveting contest between England and South Africa in the one-off Test that was played in Taunton from June 27 to June 30 as a part of the multi-format series, all eyes are now on the white-ball leg of the competition. Though the match ended in a draw, there were some breath-taking performances recorded from both sides. England’s Natalie Sciver and Alice Davidson-Richards smashed delectable centuries, while South Africa’s Marizanne Kapp scored a fighting century to bail out her team.

Alice-Davidson Richards and Natalie Sciver. PC: Getty Images
Alice-Davidson Richards and Natalie Sciver. PC: Getty Images

Going ahead in the multi-format tournament, the two teams will lock horns against each other in a three-match ODI series followed by a three-match T20I series. In view of the white ball series, England have announced a 14-member squad for the three-match ODI series that will be played from July 11 to July 18 across three different venues. The first ODI will be played at the County Ground in Northampton on July 11, the second ODI will be played at the County Ground in Bristol on July 15 and the third ODI will be played at Grace Road in Leicester on July 18.

Lauren Bell and Issy Wong earn maiden call-up. PC: Getty Images
Lauren Bell and Issy Wong earn maiden call-up. PC: Getty Images

England’s ODI Squad for series against South Africa Women

Heather Knight (captain), Tammy Beaumont, Lauren Bell, Katherine Brunt, Kate Cross, Alice Davidson-Richards, Charlie Dean, Sophia Dunkley, Sophie Ecclestone, Amy Jones, Emma Lamb, Nat Sciver, Issy Wong, Danielle Wyatt

There have been three key changes in the England squad.

Also Read:  England Women to host South Africa and India between June to September 2022

Lauren Bell, Issy Wong and Alice Davidson-Richards have made it to the ODI squad of England. While Bell and Wong have earned their maiden ODI call, Davidson-Richards, on the other hand is making her ODI come back after four years. She was last seen playing against India on April 6, 2018 in Nagpur. It was her first ODI and she scored nine runs batting at number seven.

The three players have deservingly made it to England’s ODI squad, riding on their recent performance in the Test match. Davidson-Richards scored 107 runs and picked up 43/1, Wong scalped 100/3 and Bell claimed 73/2, opening the bowling in both innings. This was the trio’s first Test match.

The right-arm pace duo of Wong and Bell play their domestic cricket for Southern Vipers. They have also featured in the Hundred last year. While Wong represented Birmingham Phoenix, Bell was a part of Southern Brave in the inaugural edition of the Hundred. Apart from this, Wong has played the Women’s Big Bash League in Australia for Sydney Thunder last year. On the other hand, all-rounder Davidson-Richards, who is a right-handed batter and a right-arm medium pace bowler has featured for Northern Superchargers in the Hundred. She also has the experience of playing five T20Is for England in 2018.

The South Africa series will present a big opportunity for Bell, Wong, and Davidson-Richards as all three players will look to make the most of the opportunity presented to them.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  Warm-up Match 7: England v New Zealand | Squads | Players to Watch | Fantasy Playing XI 
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here