South Africa claim the No. 2 spot in ICC Women’s ODI Team Rankings

After defeating India 4-1 in the five-match ODI series that ended on 17th March, the Proteas have jumped to take the second position in the ICC ODI team rankings.

South Africa Women's Cricket Team defeat India 4-1 in ODI Series. PC: Twitter
South Africa Women’s Cricket Team defeat India 4-1 in ODI Series. PC: Twitter

Winning 10 out of their previous 11 ODIs, the South African team over-powered India in their tour as this was also their third successive ODI victory.

Gaining 7 points after their victory, they moved up two spots taking their points to 118, just one point ahead of England.

South Africa opener Lizelle Lee and Laura Wolvaardt posted the highest ever opening partnership in the series, by putting 169 runs on board. The Proteas top order outperformed in all their games leading their side to a huge victory. Lee was the top scorer of the series with a total of 288 runs in just 4 innings that she played, hitting two half-centuries and a ton.

India’s Punam Raut was the top performer on the Indian side, but her half-centuries and a century went into vain as South Africa claimed the championship.

Lara Goodall’s performance proved to be a sight worth watching, and looking at her recent performances, she also made her entry into the 2022 World Cup squad.

The latest ICC ODI Rankings are:

Position Team Matches Points Rating
1 Australia 15 2436 162
2 South Africa 24 2828 118
3 England 17 1993 117
4 India 20 2226 111
5 New Zealand 18 1696 94
6 West Indies 12 1025 85
7 Pakistan 15 1101 73
8 Bangladesh 5 306 61
9 Sri Lanka 11 519 47
10 Ireland 2 25 13

India and South Africa will lock horns again in the three-match T20I series starting 20th March.

Also Read:  Match 18: Gujarat Giants vs UP Warriorz | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live Streaming | Pitch Report

For more such latest news and updates around women’s cricket, follow us on Twitter and Instagram.

Vaishnavi Iyer

I’m a Senior Masters student pursuing Journalism and Mass Communication. An all time Cricket enthusiast. I could never play the game but always loved watching it, and now writing about it!

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here