2nd ODI – Fifties from Smriti Mandhana and Punam Raut steer India to a Massive 9 Wicket Win

After going down the hammer in the first ODI, the Women in Blue made a strong comeback on Tuesday as they defeated South Africa in the second ODI of the five-match ODI series by nine wickets. The match was played at Ekana Cricket Stadium in Lucknow.

Team India level the series 1-1 beating South Africa by 9 Wickets in 2nd ODI. PC: BCCI Women/Twitter
Team India level the series 1-1 beating South Africa by 9 Wickets in 2nd ODI. PC: BCCI Women/Twitter

Winning the toss and electing to bowl first, the hosts bundled out the visitors for a paltry 157 in 41 overs. After putting up a stellar performance with the bat in the previous match on Sunday, the Proteas faltered as its batting order failed to click. The opening pair of Lizelle Lee (4) and Laura Wolvaardt (9) was out cheaply as the South Africans were struggling at 20-2 in 5.1 overs. Skipper Sune Luus (36) and Lara Goodall put up a good fight as they stitched a 60-run partnership. Goodall top scored with 49 runs off 77 balls but failed to find an able ally other than Luus. The Indian bowling attack led by Jhulan Goswami was too hot to handle as it ran through Sune Luus and co. in just 41 overs. Goswami was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 4-42 in her 10 overs. Rajeshwari  Gayakwad, Mansi Joshi, and Harmanpreet Kaur struck with three, two, and one wicket apiece.

In reply, India gave the South Africans the taste of their own medicine as the Women in Blue chased down the target in just 28.4 overs. After losing its opening bat Jemimah Rodrigues (9) to Shabnim Ismail in the fifth over, there were no more hiccups as Smriti Mandhana (80 not out) and Punam Raut (62 not out) ensured that they steered their side home. Mandhana was at her very best as she hit the ball cleanly. She smashed 10 boundaries and three sixes in her entertaining knock. Raut played a patient inning, facing 89 balls. The right-hand bat hit eight boundaries in her knock. In the end, India won the match with nine wickets in hand and 21.2 overs to spare. This was the biggest Indian victory over South Africa.

Also Read:  Anushka Sharma begins training for ‘Chakda Xpress’ in Mumbai

India’s Jhulan Goswami was awarded as the Player of the Match for his stellar bowling performance.  Now as the series is evenly poised with both teams winning one match each, the next three ODIs are sure to be thriller contests.

India will take on South Africa on Friday at the same venue for the third ODI.

Brief Scores: South Africa 157 all out in 41 overs (L Goodall 49, S Luus 36; J Goswami 4-42, R Gayakwad 3-37) lost to India 160-1 in 28.4 overs (S Mandhana 80 not out, P Raut 62 not out; S Ismail 1-46) by 9 wickets

For more such latest news and updates around women’s cricket, follow us on Twitter and Instagram

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here