Beth Mooney outshines Marizanne Kapp’s 75 to help Australia win T20I decider

Following Australia ‘s resounding victory in the 3-match Women’s Twenty20 International (T20I) series opener against South Africa, the tables turned in the 2nd T20I as the visitors sealed the deal. With the series hanging in the balance, the action shifted from Canberra to Hobart for the decider.

<yoastmark class=
Beth Mooney outshines Marizanne Kapp’s 75 to help Australia win T20I decider

Put into bat first, South Africa had the worst possible start, losing the in-form Tazmin Brits for a 4-ball duck. Laura Wolvaardt partnered with Marizanne Kapp, and the duo found gaps with ease, particularly Kapp, who struck Darcie Brown for three consecutive fours. However, Wolvaardt, aiming to continue accelerating, lost her wicket in the process, scoring 15(13).

Suné Luus departed shortly after, falling victim to a run-out from Grace Harris’ direct hit, as the team lost three wickets for 28 runs inside five overs. In her 100th WT20I appearance, Kapp helped South Africa regain momentum, batting alongside Anneke Bosch. While Bosch struggled for runs, Kapp kept the scoreboard ticking, not allowing the pressure to settle in as South Africa recovered to 63/3 after 10 overs, with Kapp on 39*(28) and Bosch on 8*(13).

The partnership between the two surged as Bosch found her footing, while Kapp reached her fifty with a boundary and then registered a career-best WT20I score with a maximum. Back on to bowl her final over, Annabel Sutherland produced the breakthrough, dismissing Bosch on 21(24), ending the record 80-run stand as South Africa lost their fourth wicket with 108 on the board inside 15 overs.

The pair of Chloe Tryon and Kapp shared a brief stand that ended with Kapp departing on 75(48) [4 × 10, 6 × 1]. Tryon’s 16-ball 26 helped the team gain momentum, and Nadine de Klerk concluded the innings with an unbeaten 20 off 11 balls as South Africa posted a competitive total of 162. Georgia Wareham, Sutherland, Megan Schutt, Gardner, and Tahlia McGrath each claimed a wicket for Australia.

Also Read:  Match 15 Summary - England Women beat South Africa Women to book their Semi-Final berth

Australia’s reply began strongly with Alyssa Healy and Beth Mooney rotating the strike effectively. However, the introduction of Nonkululeko Mlaba into the attack saw Healy depart for 10(7). Ellyse Perry joined Mooney, and the duo drove Australia to 53 runs in the powerplay. In the following over, Chloe Tryon removed Perry for 13(10), and shortly after, Phoebe Litchfield (4) also fell, leaving Australia at 66/3 after 8 overs.

Tahlia McGrath partnered with Mooney, contributing to a mature 36-run stand before McGrath was dismissed for 16(17). Mooney then formed another crucial partnership, this time with Ashleigh Gardner, and Australia switched gears. South Africa finally got the breakthrough they needed as Ayabonga Khaka dismissed Mooney for a well-compiled 82 off 55 balls in the 18th over, with Australia at 150/5.

Despite the late wicket, Gardner steered Australia to victory with an unbeaten 26(17), supported by Grace Harris (8*). South Africa’s bowling attack, led by Tryon, Khaka, Mlaba, Masabata Klaas, and Nadine de Klerk, each claimed a wicket in their effort.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here