1st ODI – Marizanne Kapp and Shabnim Ismail help South Africa take 1-0 lead against Pakistan

It was a nail-biting contest between South Africa and Pakistan as the two sides locked horns against each other on Wednesday at Durban in the first ODI of the three-match series.

South Africa take the victory in the final over. PC: OfficialCSA / Twitter
South Africa take the victory in the final over. PC: OfficialCSA / Twitter

Winning the toss and electing to field first, Pakistan restricted the hosts to a modest 200-9 in 50 overs. Opening the bowling, Diana Baig got rid of the attacking bat Lizelle Lee for a duck in the very first over. Skipper Sune Luus came to the middle and did not last long as she was sent packing by Baig for just 12 (16). The Proteas were in deep trouble with the scoreboard reading 24-2 in 4.5 overs. Lara Goodall (27) joined hands with Laura Wolvaardt (40) and the duo stitched a 60-run partnership. However, when things were beginning to look good for South Africa, the visitors came back strong as they sent both the set batters back to the pavilion in the space of just 15 balls. All-rounders Mignon du Preez (29) and Marizaane Kapp (47) looked to consolidate the innings. Coming lower down the order, Shabnim Ismail smashed a run a ball 20 to help her side inch closer to the 200-run mark. With the ball, it was Diana Baig, who was the pick of the bowlers for Pakistan as she scalped 3-46 in 10 overs. Nida Dar and Nashra Sandhu also chipped in with a couple of wickets apiece, with Fatima Sana accounting for one dismissal.

Also Read:  Preview: Final - Perth Scorchers vs Adelaide Strikers | Fantasy Playing XI | Players to watch | Squad

In reply, chasing 201 at just over four runs per over, Pakistan did not get off to the best of starts. Just like South Africa, Pakistan lost its first two wickets early. Omaima Sohail (37) and Nida Dar (59 not out) played some good cricketing shots and gave a glimmer of hope to their side. Aliya Riaz also looked good during her 44-ball 28. Riaz muscled one six, which was the only maximum of the match. Towards the end, Diana Baig (35 not out) and Nida Dar fought tooth and nail to go past the Proteas’ target, however, they fell short of just three runs. Pakistan’s innings was reduced to 197-8 in 50 overs. With 13 runs to get from the last over, Baig and Dar managed to score nine off Nadine de Klerk’s bowling. For the Proteas, it was Shabnim Ismail who was the star performer with the ball. Ismail struck with 3-42 in her 10 overs and found able allies in Nadine de Klerk, Nonkululeko Mlaba and Tumi Sekhukhune, who picked up one scalp each.

South Africa leads the three-match ODI series 1-0. The second ODI, which is the Black Day ODI, will be played on Saturday at the same venue.

Brief Scores: South Africa 200-9 in 50 overs (M Kapp 47, L Wolvaardt 40; D Baig 3-46, N Dar 2-35, N Sandhu 2-23) beat Pakistan 197-8 in 50 overs (N Dar 59 not out, D Baig 35 not out; S Ismail 3-42) by 3 runs

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  Mumbai Indians continue to dominate without Harmanpreet Kaur and Shabnim Ismail
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here