New Zealand Fined for Slow Over-Rate in 1st T20I against Australia Women

Australia triumphed in the first two T20I matches against New Zealand in Mackay, showing their strength with a five-wicket win in the opening game and a 29-run victory in the second. However, New Zealand was handed a setback off the field as they were fined for a slow over-rate during the first T20I, being penalised five percent of their match fee.

The first match saw an outstanding performance from Australia’s Phoebe Litchfield. Entering the crease with her team in trouble at 44 for 3 after just 6.1 overs, Litchfield took charge of the chase, crafting a superb unbeaten 64 off 43 balls. She struck 11 boundaries in her innings, expertly managing the run rate and steering Australia home with five wickets in hand and eight balls remaining. Despite New Zealand’s early breakthroughs, including a spell of 2 for 24 from Molly Penfold, Australia kept their composure, largely thanks to Litchfield’s calm and confident approach.

Beyond the on-field action, New Zealand was penalised for their slow over-rate. Captain Sophie Devine accepted the fine without dispute, as her side was found to be one over short after time allowances were factored in. The penalty was imposed under Article 2.22 of the ICC Code of Conduct, which addresses minimum over-rate requirements.

With each over missed, players were fined five percent of their match fee. Match referee David Gilbert handed down the sanction after the on-field umpires Andrew Crozier and Troy Penman, along with the third and fourth umpires, leveled the charge. As a result, the White Ferns faced a financial penalty, further compounding their defeat in the opening match.

Also Read:  1st T20I: Australia vs New Zealand | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live Streaming | Pitch Report

The second T20I was more competitive, with New Zealand bouncing back and delivering a strong bowling performance to bowl Australia out for 142. The collapse was dramatic—Australia lost seven wickets for just 28 runs, with Amelia Kerr delivering her career-best T20I figures of 4 for 20. Her sharp bowling dismantled the Australian middle and lower order, turning the match around. But despite Kerr’s heroics, New Zealand’s efforts were undone by a disciplined bowling display from Australia. Ashleigh Gardner took 3 for 17, ensuring that New Zealand’s chase never truly gained momentum, ultimately restricting them short of the target.

The two teams are set to play their final match of the series on 24 September in Mackay. Following the conclusion of this T20I series, both squads will travel to the United Arab Emirates to participate in the Women’s T20 World Cup 2024, which begins on 3 October. This will be the last assignment for Sophie Devine as the captain of the White Ferns.

At the World Cup, both Australia and New Zealand have been placed in Group A , alongside India, Sri Lanka, and Pakistan, setting the stage for some intense competition ahead.

Liked the story? Leave a comment here

France Women’s National Cricket Team Chile Women’s National Cricket Team Canada Women’s National Cricket Team Profile
Most Popular Female Cricketers on Instagram List of 10 Brother-Sister pair in Cricket Husband-Wife Pair in Cricket