Preview: 1st semi-final – Namibia vs Nigeria, Squads, Suggested Playing XI, Top picks, Playing Conditions

Day 6 of the seventh edition of the Kwibuka Women’s T20 tournament will see Namibia taking on Nigeria in the first semi-final at the Gahanga International Cricket Stadium in Rwanda. The match will begin at 9.30 am local (1 pm IST) on June 11. With Namibia having won against Nigeria in the league stage, the former is expected to have an edge over the latter going into the semi-finals.

Nigeria Women's Cricket Team. PC: Twitter
Nigeria Women’s Cricket Team. PC: Twitter

Match preview

1) Squads

Namibia: Irene van Zyl (c), Yasmeen Khan (vc), Arrasta Diergaardt, Didi Foerster, Mezerly Gorases, Kayleen Green, Victoria Hamunyela, Reehana Khan, Wilka Mwatile, Sylvia Shihepo, Namusha Shiomwenyo, Adri van der Merwe, Edelle van Zyl, Sune Wittmann

Nigeria: Samantha Agazuma (c), Kehinde Abdulquadri, Omonye Asika, Mary Desmond, Joy Efosa, Favour Eseigbe, Blessing Etim, Abigail Igbobie, Miracle Imimole, Piety Lucky, Blessing Nwobodo, Agatha Obulor, Racheal Samson, Esther Sandy, Salome Sunday

2) Players to watch out for – Must-haves in your Fantasy XI

Sune Wittman: The 26-year old right-hand bat from Namibia is the highest run-scorer for the team mustering 154 runs in three innings, with the best of 93 not out. The in-form batter is likely to be Namibia’s X-factor player.

Victoria Hamunyela: The 18-year old right-arm off-spinner from Namibia is one of the most destructive bowlers in the line-up. In the four games played so far, she has given away 48 runs and picked up 12 wickets.

Salome Sunday: The 19-year old right-hand bat from Nigeria is the top run-getter for her side. This talented youngster has the ability to win matches for her team single-handedly. So far she has scored 68 runs at an average of 23, including the best score of 33 not out.

Also Read:  Preview: 2nd semi final – Rwanda vs Kenya, Squads, Suggested Playing XI, Top picks, Conditions

Blessing Etim: The 28-year old right-arm quickie from Nigeria has picked up five wickets in four games and is the highest wicket-taker of the side. A lot will depend on her for Nigeria to make it to the finals.

3) Suggested Fantasy XI Picks

Kayleen Green (WK), Adri van der Merwe, Samantha Agazuma, Arrasta Diergaardt, Blessing Etim (C), Sune Wittman (VC), Irene van Zyl, Salome Sunday, Victoria Hamunyela, Wilka Mwatile, Mary Desmond

4) Pitch Report

It is expected to be a sluggish wicket that will challenge the batters to score. On the other hand, the bowlers will look to make the most of the conditions and restrict the batting side to a sub-par score.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram for all the updates

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here