Scotland to host Ireland Women’s Team for 3 T20Is in September

Scotland will be hosting Ireland from the 5th to the 8th of September for a three-match WT20I series at the Grange cricket club in Edinburgh. The series will serve both teams as a buildup before they travel to the United Arab Emirates for the 2023 ICC Women’s T20 World Cup Global qualifier in September.

Scotland to host Ireland Women's Team for 3 T20Is in September. PC: Twitter
Scotland to host Ireland Women’s Team for 3 T20Is in September. PC: Twitter

Both sides last had a faceoff at the ICC women’s T20 World Cup Europe Qualifier in Spain last year. Ireland of late have been actively playing cricket, they recently conclude a home tri-series featuring Australia and Pakistan. Prior to that, they’d played South Africa and next are all set to travel to the Netherlands for a three-match ODI series.

On the other hand, Scotland’s last appearance on the international stage had come early this year in January when they toured Malaysia for the Commonwealth Games qualifier tournament.

SQUAD FOR THE BILATERAL SERIES :

Scotland: Kathryn Bryce (C), Sarah Bryce, Abbi Aitken-Drummond, Olivia Bell, Priyanaz Chatterji, Katherine Fraser, Saskia Horley, Lorna Jack, Ailsa Lister, Abtaha Maqsood, Megan McColl, Katie McGill, Hannah Rainey, Rachel Slater, Ellen Watson

Ireland: Laura Delany (C), Georgina Dempsey, Amy Hunter, Shauna Kavanagh, Arlene Kelly, Gaby Lewis, Sophie MacMahon, Jane Maguire, Cara Murray, Leah Paul, Orla Prendergast, Eimear Richardson, Rebecca Stokell, Mary Waldron

TOUR SCHEDULE

5th, September 2022 : 1st T20I

6th, September 2022 : 2nd T20I

8th, September 2022 : 3rd T20I

Ed Joyce, the head coach of Ireland said, “With our build-up well underway for the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup Qualifier later in September, this series will be a great opportunity for the players to refine and execute their skills that they have been working on this season. We’ve had some great fixtures this summer against South Africa, Australia and Pakistan, and these matches will be just as important given the qualifier tournament ahead.

“While injury means we are without Ava Canning and work commitments ruling out Rachel Delaney, we welcome the return of Eimear Richardson to the squad. It’s always a welcome option to be able to call upon an experienced player with almost 100 caps. Our thanks to Cricket Scotland for hosting this series.”

Also Read:  Six part-time professional contracts offered to women cricketers in Ireland

Peter Ross, the head coach of Scotland said, “We’re really looking forward to hosting Ireland in Edinburgh at the start of September. We’ve had a lot of very competitive matches against them during the past few years and I expect another evenly matched contest against them this time. These fixtures will provide a good challenge and opportunity for the squad ahead of the World Cup Qualifier later in September. Players can enjoy playing against good quality opposition on a brilliant surface at the Grange, whilst from a coaching perspective, it gives me the chance to try players in different situations to understand what our best line-up is.

“It’s going to be an exciting 6 weeks for the National Women’s team. First, we look forward to hosting Fair break and then Ireland at the Grange being able to host home internationals in Edinburgh will be a huge boost and can hopefully help to inspire the next generation of young Scottish female cricketers. After that our attention will turn to the World Cup Qualifier in Abu Dhabi where the senior team will aim to follow in the footsteps of the successful Under-19 Women’s squad who have just qualified for the Under-19 Women’s World Cup next year.”

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here