Orla Prendergast leads Ireland to 3-0 victory over Zimbabwe in T20I series

The Ireland women led by skipper Laura Delany sealed the three-match ODI series by a 2-0 margin. The visitors clinched the first couple of T20Is by a comprehensive margin (by 57 runs in the 1st T20I and by 42 runs in the 2nd T20I).

Orla Prendergast leads Ireland to 3-0 victory over Zimbabwe in T20I series. PC: Getty
Orla Prendergast leads Ireland to a 3-0 victory over Zimbabwe in the T20I series. PC: Getty

Ireland skipper Laura Delany won the toss and opted to bat first in the 3rd T20I. Ireland got off to a poor start as they lost the wicket of their opening batter Gaby Lewis for a duck in the first over of the innings. Nomvelo Sibanda provided the first breakthrough for Zimbabwe. Orla Prendergast joined wicket-keeper batter Amy Hunter at the crease and the duo stitched a much-needed 66-run partnership for the 2nd wicket to lead a recovery for the visitors. Loreen Tshuma provided a crucial breakthrough for Zimbabwe.

Skipper Laura Delany joined Orla Prendergast at the crease and the duo stitched another crucial 86-run partnership for the third wicket before Kelis Ndhlovu picked up the massive wicket of Orla Prendergast to provide the third breakthrough for her side. She completed her well-deserved half-century before getting dismissed. Ireland eventually ended up with a total of 169/3 in their quota of overs.

Orla Prendergast (69 off 48 balls), skipper Laura Delany (54 off 38 balls), and wicket-keeper batter Amy Hunter (42 off 29 balls) were the top performers with the bat for Ireland. Loreen Tshuma (1/29) and Nomvelu Sibanda (1/30) were the top performers with the ball for Zimbabwe. Chasing a target of 170, the Zimbabwe openers got off to a steady start, scoring over 7 runs an over before Orla Prendergast picked up the massive wicket of the opposition skipper Mary-Anne Musonda to provide the first breakthrough for Ireland.

Also Read:  3rd ODI: West Indies vs Ireland | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

Pellagia Mujaji joined Kelis Ndhlovu at the crease and soon made her way back to the pavilion. Wicket-keeper batter Chiedza Dhururu joined Kelis Ndhlovu at the crease and the duo stitched a 16-run partnership for the 3rd wicket before Cara Murray picked up the wicket of the opening batter Kelis Ndhlovu to provide the crucial breakthrough for Ireland. Loreen Tshuma joined wicket-keeper batter Chiedza Dhururu at the crease and the duo stitched a much-needed 51-run partnership for the 4th wicket before Louise Little picked up the wicket of Loreen Tshuma to provide the 4th breakthrough for her side.

The home side was restricted to 109/7 in their quota of overs as they eventually fell short by 60 runs. They suffered a mini collapse as they lost their next three wickets for just 8 runs. Kelis Ndhlovu (36 off 31 balls), Loreen Tshuma (25 off 31 balls), and wicket-keeper batter Chiedza Dhururu (24 off 33 balls) were the top performers with the bat for Zimbabwe. Freya Sargent (4-0-20-1), Louise Little (2-0-8-2), and Cara Murray (3-0-19-1) were the top performers with the ball for Ireland.

Orla Prendergast was awarded the Player of the Match for her match-winning performance (69 off 48 balls) with the bat and (2-0-6-1) with the ball.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here