Ireland leads T20I Series 2-0 with Delany’s All-Round Brilliance

Wicket-keeper batter Amy Hunter’s 77, followed by skipper Laura Delany’s career-best effort with the ball powers Ireland women to another comprehensive victory to lead the T20I series. The Ireland women’s team led by skipper Laura Delany clinched the three-match ODI series by a 2-1 margin against Zimbabwe. Moving on to the T20I series, the visitors, Ireland clinched the 1st T20I courtesy of the wicket-keeper batter Amy Hunter’s sensational century in the 1st T20I, her maiden in the format.

Ireland Women Seal T20I Series with Delany's All-round Brilliance. PC: Getty
Ireland Women Seal T20I Series with Delany’s All-Round Brilliance. PC: Getty

The Zimbabwe women’s skipper Mary-Anne Musonda won the toss and opted to field first in the 2nd T20I. After being inserted to bat first, the Ireland openers got off to a solid start scoring over 7 runs an over before Lindokuhle Mabhero cleaned up Gaby Lewis to break the 94-run opening stand and provide the much-needed breakthrough for Zimbabwe. Orla Prendergast joined wicket-keeper batter Amy Hunter at the crease. The duo stitched another crucial 62-run partnership for the 2nd wicket before Precious Marange cleaned up Orla Prendergast to provide the 2nd breakthrough for Zimbabwe.

The visitor Ireland, eventually ended up with a total of 172/3 in their quota of overs. The 18-year-old wicket-keeper batter carried her bat throughout the innings staying unbeaten with 77 runs to her name, scoring at a strike rate of 135.08, alongside Gaby Lewis (44 off 43 balls), and Orla Prendergast (37 off 17 balls) were the top performers with the bat for Ireland. Precious Marange (4-0-26-1) and Loreen Tshuma (4-0-25-0) were the top performers with the ball for Zimbabwe.

Chasing a target of 173, the Zimbabwe openers got off to a confident start, scoring almost 7 runs an over before Ava Canning picked up the massive wicket of the opposition skipper Mary-Anne Musonda to provide the first breakthrough for Ireland. Pellagia Mujaji joined Kelis Ndhlovu at the crease and the duo stitched a crucial 54-run partnership for the 2nd wicket before Pellagia Mujaji was found short of her crease to provide the 2nd breakthrough for Ireland.

Also Read:  Capricorn Women's Tri-Series 2022: Uganda, Zimbabwe Women tour of Namibia

The home side suffered a collapse as they lost their next 6 wickets for just 42 runs and as a result, they were restricted to 130/8 in their quota of overs. Kelis Ndhlovu (52 off 41 balls), Pellagia Mujaji (31 off 31 balls), and skipper Mary-Anne Musonda (17 off 17 balls) were the top performers with the bat for Zimbabwe. Skipper Laura Delany (4-0-12-4), Cara Murray (4-0-27-2), and Alana Dalzell (3-0-11-0) were the top performers with the ball for Ireland.

The Ireland skipper Laura Delany was awarded the Player of the Match for her match-winning (4/12) spell with the ball, her career-best figures in the T20I format for Ireland. She played a crucial role in helping her side clinch another comprehensive 42-run victory over Zimbabwe to seal the three-match T20I series. The 3rd T20I of the series, which will now turn out to be a dead-rubber will get underway from 4:30 PM IST on 30th January 2024 at the Harare Sports Club. The home side, Zimbabwe led by skipper Mary-Anne Musonda, will now have to battle for pride to avoid a whitewash in the ongoing T20I series.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here