19 Member Sri Lanka squad announced for limited-overs series against India

The Sri Lanka Cricket selection committee announced the 19- member squad for the upcoming Sri Lanka Vs India limited-overs bilateral series set to begin on June 23rd with the opening T20I match to be played at Dambulla.

India Women's tour of Sri Lanka 2022 - Squad, Schedule, Head to Head, Live Streaming
India Women’s tour of Sri Lanka 2022 – Squad, Schedule, Head to Head, Live Streaming

The Sri Lankan team will be led by Chamari Athapaththu. Chamari recently guided the Lankans to an amazing win against Pakistan with her splendid century scoring 101 runs off 85 balls in the third and final ODI against Pakistan. Though the Sri Lanka team lost both the T20I and ODI series by 0-3 and 1-2 respectively, registering a win in the final game was certainly a confidence booster ahead of the series against India.

The timeline of women’s cricket in Sri Lanka has not been smooth, especially in the past couple of years. It was close to one and a half years that the Sri Lankan team had not played any international cricket and there were several lacunae in the structure and administration of women’s cricket in the island nation. In early 2021, The Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) established a dedicated Women’s High-Performance Centre which focuses on developing, sharpening, and high-quality training of women cricketers in Sri Lanka. With the cricketing world gearing up for a bright future of women’s cricket, this was a highly welcomed step.

Sri Lanka Women's Cricket Team
Sri Lanka Women’s Cricket Team. Pic Credits: Sri Lanka Cricket/Twitter

Earlier in January this year, the Lankans qualified for the 2022 Commonwealth games to be held at Edgbaston Stadium in Birmingham, England from July 29th, 2022.

The Sri Lankan team will be focused and determined to clinch victories against India to take essential confidence going into the CWG’22.

Also Read:  Sri Lanka announces Squad for T20 World Cup 2023

The visitors are to be led by Harmanpreet Kaur and they too will be facing the challenge of settling into a new team balance post Mithali Raj’s retirement.

The bilateral series between the two South Asian countries is set to kickstart from June 23rd consisting of 3 ODIs and equal number of T20Is.

Sri Lanka’s squad for the series-

Chamari Athapaththu (Captain), Hasini Perera, Kavisha Dilhari, Nilakshi de Silva, Anushka Sanjeevani, Oshadhi Ranasinghe, Sugandika Kumari, Inoka Ranaweera, Achini Kulasuriya, Harshitha Samarawickrama, Vishmi Gunaratne, Malsha Shehani, Ama Kanchana, Udeshika Prabodhani, Rashmi de Silva, Hansima Karunaratne, Kaushani Nuthyangana, Sathya Sandeepani, Tharika Sewwandi

India’s squad for the series-

T20I series: Harmanpreet Kaur (Captain), Smriti Mandhana (VC), Shafali Verma, Yastika Bhatia (wk), S Meghna, Deepti Sharma, Poonam Yadav, Rajeshwari Gayakwad, Simran Bahadur, Richa Ghosh (wk), Pooja Vastrakar, Meghna Singh, Renuka Singh, Jemimah Rodrigues, Radha Yadav 

ODI series: Harmanpreet Kaur (Captain), Smriti Mandhana (VC), Shafali Verma, Yastika Bhatia (wk), S Meghna, Deepti Sharma, Poonam Yadav, Rajeshwari Gayakwad, Simran Bahadur, Richa Ghosh (wk), Pooja Vastrakar, Meghna Singh, Renuka Singh, Taniya Bhatia (wk), Harleen Deol

Schedule – India Women’s tour of Sri Lanka 2022

Sr. No. Day Date Match Venue
1 Thursday 23rd June 1st T20I Dambulla
2 Saturday 25th June 2nd T20I Dambulla
3 Monday 27th June 3rd T20I Dambulla
4 Friday 1st July 1st ODI Kandy
5 Monday 4th July 2nd ODI Kandy
6 Thursday 7th July 3rd ODI Kandy

For more latest news and updates on women’s cricket, follow us on Twitter and Instagram 

Anvesha Shah

The 22 Yard stretch that molded me, is what I hold sacred. A cricketer weaving life’s innings into words. A Rohit Sharma Admirer always. I believe writing and cricket aren’t passions, but ways of life, so truly living the dream!

Also Read:  Where to watch India Women's tour of Sri Lanka series?
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here