India avoids whitewash, Mithali, Harmanpreet and Smriti scores Fifty to pick Consolation Win

The fifth and the final ODI of the series between India and New Zealand which the latter lead by 4-0, was played on February 24 at the John Davies Oval in Queenstown.

Smriti Mandhana scores 20th ODI Half-Century. PC: Twitter
Smriti Mandhana scores 20th ODI Half-Century. PC: Twitter

Toss

New Zealand won the toss and elected to bat first.

Playing XI

India: Mithali Raj (c), Smriti Mandhana, Deepti Sharma, Richa Ghosh, Shafali Verma, Harmanpreet Kaur, Meghna Singh, Jhulan Goswami, Sneh Rana, Rajeshwari Gayakwad, Poonam Yadav

New Zealand: Sophie Devine (c), Suzie Bates, Amelia Kerr, Lauren Down, Katey Martin, Amy Satterthwaite, Hannah Rowe, Rosemary Mair, Frances Mackay, Hayley Jensen, Fran Jonas

First innings: New Zealand 251-9 in 50 overs

Riding on Amelia Kerr’s delectable half-century, the White Ferns posted a respectable score of 251-9 in 50 overs. The New Zealand batters like Sophie Devine, Lauren Down and Hayley Jensen got off to healthy starts but failed to capitalize. The Indian bowling attack was up to task as they kept the opposition batters at bay. Apart from the 96-run partnership between Devine and Kerr, there were no big partnerships for New Zealand. The Indians did not allow the White Ferns to run away with the game. The spin trio of Sneh Rana, Deepti Sharma and Rajeshwari Hayakwad scalped two wickets apiece, while Poonam Yadav and Meghna Singh struck with one wicket each.

Second innings: India 255-4 in 46 overs

In reply, India lost their opening batter Shafali Verma (9) dearly, before Deepti Sharma, who was promoted to number three and Smriti Mandhana stitched a 60-run partnership to steady the Indian ship. Sharma (21 runs off 41 balls) perished while trying to hit one in the air one but was caught at point by Rosemary Mair off Fran Jonas’ bowling. Later, Harmanpreet Kaur joined Mandhana and the duo put together a 64-run partnership for the third wicket. The southpaw made her way back to the pavilion after scoring 71 off 84 balls, registering her 20th ODI half century. Mandhana’s half-century was followed by twin half-centuries from Kaur and Mithali Raj to seal the deal for India. India chased down the target in 46 overs, winning the match by six wickets. For New Zealand, Hayley Jensen, Hannah Rowe, Amelia Kerr and Fran Jonas accounted for one wicket apiece.

Player of the Match

India’s Smriti Mandhana won the player of the match for her match-winning batting performance. The left handed batter scored 71 runs off 84 balls.

Also Read:  Top 5 half-century moments of Mithali Raj

Brief Scores

New Zealand 251-9 in 50 overs (A Kerr 66; D Sharma 2-42) lost to India 255-4 in 46 overs (S Mandhana 71; H Rowe 1-41) by 6 wickets

Player of the Series

New Zealand’s Amelia Kerr won the player of the series. She scored 353 runs, picked up seven wickets and accounted for nine catches in the five-match ODI series.

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates around Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here