Why did Nat Sciver opt out of series against India?

Days before the start of England’s home series against India, there’s come a major development with stand-in skipper Nat Sciver opting to withdraw from the series prioritizing her mental health and wellbeing. The 30-year-old all-around left Durham on the 8th of September to return home.

Natalie Sciver. PC: Getty Images
Natalie Sciver. PC: Getty Images

Nat Sciver personally has enjoyed a good run over the last few months be it at the Women’s World Cup early this year or the long summer of cricket she’d had on home soil, but much more importantly she’s been constantly on the road and has been for quite long in one go.

Nat Sciver’s absence comes with her side already down by a couple of big names in Katherine Brunt as she’s rested from the side for similar reasons (rest and well-being) and the other being, regular skipper, Heather Knight who’s advised not to take field having undergone hip surgery.

The statement released by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) confirmed Amy Jones will captain throughout the T20I series in Nat Sciver’s absence and a replacement player will be named in the squad ahead of the 2nd T20I that’s scheduled at Derby.

Nat Sciver in her statement said, “I’ve played a lot of cricket over the last nine months and I am very emotionally fatigued. Elite sport demands a lot and for the moment I’m not able to perform without compromising my own well-being, so I need to take some time away from cricket in order to focus on myself. It’s the right decision for me and it’s the right decision for the team.”

Also Read:  Match 32: Birmingham Phoenix vs London Spirit | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

Jonathan Finch, director of England Women’s Cricket said, “We fully support Nat and her decision to step away from this series. Cricket is important, but it is wholly insignificant in the context of an individual’s health and happiness. The welfare of our players and staff is always our number one priority and we will support Nat throughout this period.”

Depth isn’t really a question for England as they’ve got names who are good enough to come in as replacements, but the task isn’t easy as she’s an all-rounder and one which every team desires for.

England’s squad for the India series :

Lauren Bell, Maia Bouchier, Alice Capsey, Kate Cross, Freya Davies, Sophia Dunkley, Sophie Ecclestone, Sarah Glenn, Amy Jones, Freya Kemp, Bryony Smith, Issy Wong, Danni Wyatt

The series commences at the Riverside Ground, Chester-le-street with the 1st of 3 T20I on the 10th of September. The schedule of the series is attached right below

Schedule: India Women’s tour of England 2022

DATE GAME VENUE
10-Sep-22 1st T20I Riverside Ground, Chester-le-street
13-Sep-22 2nd T20I County Ground, Derby
15-Sep-22 3rd T20I County Ground, Bristol
18-Sep-22 1st ODI County Ground, Hove
21-Sep-22 2nd ODI St Lawrence Ground, Canterbury
24-Sep-22 3rd ODI Lord’s, London
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here