Which records did Mithali Raj break during 3rd ODI against England?

Over the span of the last 22 years, Mithali Raj, India’s Test, and ODI captain has been breaking records for breakfast. On Saturday, the 38-year-old created history when she became the leading run-getter in international women’s cricket going past former England captain Charlotte Edwards. Raj surpassed Edwards in style as she hit a boundary to go beyond the 10,273-run mark, a record held by Edwards.

Mithali Raj is the leading run-scorer in Women's ODI Cricket
Mithali Raj is the leading run-scorer in the Women’s ODI Cricket. PC: Getty Images

The third and the final ODI between India and England was played at Worcester and with England 2-0 up in the series, it was time for India eves to pull up their socks and keep their hopes alive in the multi-format series. As had been the case over the first two ODIs, captain Raj led from the front, scoring yet another half-century, her third in three ODIs to steer her side to a much-needed win. With that victory, India bagged two points and now the difference between the two sides is of two points only, with England leading 6 points to India’s 4.

The half-century that Raj registered on Saturday also made her the only Indian across men and women to score more than 50 runs 15 times on English soil. Rahul Dravid and Virat Kohli are the two others who are close to Raj with 13 scores of more than 50 in England. She scored an unbeaten 75 off 86 balls, peppering the boundary rope eight times. In her previous two ODIs, she scored 72 and 59. Mithali has enjoyed a lot of success against England Women in ODI cricket.

While England is undoubtedly one of her favorite venues, England is also her favorite opposition. She has mustered the most runs against England among all nations. Raj has 2,004 runs at an average of 50.10 against England, including 20 half-centuries.

Also Read:  Mithali Raj becomes First Female Player to Score 7000+ ODI Runs

After the completion of the ODI series, her ODI stats read as follows, runs scored 7,304 in 217 matches at an average of 51.80, including 58 half-centuries and seven centuries. She is the only player with a 50-plus batting average among the top 10 run-scorers. She is the only batter with 7,000-plus runs in ODI cricket. Her average of 51.80 zooms up to over a phenomenal 111 while batting second. She is a genuine chase master and while batting second India is always in the game as long as she is batting.

Mithali Raj now has scored 10, 337 runs across 317 international fixtures. The batting legend has served Indian women’s cricket for over two decades. With all eyes on the 2022 World Cup which is just eight months away, India will hope that Raj wins that for the country, to add another feather to her already decked-up hat.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here