England Skipper Heather Knight wants Women’s Test to be a 5-day format

After the intense Test match against India at the Bristol County Ground, England Captain Knight said that she wants women’s test match to take place within a duration of 5-days and not just 4 days.

The test match, which looked like an easy victory for England, was saved by all-rounder Sneh Rana and Taniya Bhatia’s 144 run partnership. India after getting a follow-on managed to keep their head in the game and draw the match.

Sneh Rana and Taniya Bhatia stitched 100+ Runs Partnership. PC: ICC
Sneh Rana and Taniya Bhatia stitched 100+ Runs Partnership. PC: ICC

Sneh Rana became the first Indian women’s cricketer to score a 50+ score and take a 4-wicket haul in a test match and fourth overall.

“It’s been a great advert and shows that women’s Test cricket has a place in the game,” Heather was quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo, though she was disappointed at missing out on a win.

“What a brilliant game of cricket. It was unfortunate it didn’t have the dramatic and exciting finish that it could have done but what a game of cricket. I think it’s almost a shame that today it fizzled out a little bit.”

“It was set up to be very good and very exciting, but I think it’s been a brilliant advert. We’ve had some great skill on show, some youngsters come in from both sides and play outstandingly,” said Heather.

Heather made a major contribution of 95 runs to England’s total score of 396 runs. While she missed out on a well-deserved century, she did make sure her team was in a good position to restrict the Indian batters.

She also expressed her views on women’s Tests being a 5-day affair rather than 4 after a significant amount of play was lost due to rain on the third day here.

Also Read:  "It just shows the Courage we have within the team," says Hayley Matthews

Heather Knight smashed 95 in 1st Innings against India. PC: Getty Images
Heather Knight smashed 95 in 1st Innings against India. PC: Getty Images

“I would definitely be open to it (five-day Test). There’s obviously been a lot of draws in women’s cricket, in previous games, so yeah, it’s definitely something I think that should be looked at.”

“We lost a little bit of time through the weather, etc. throughout this match and we weren’t able to force it. Generally over rates are pretty good in women’s cricket and obviously, we didn’t quite get all the overs that we should have done in this match, but I think if there was another day what a great finish it would have been.”

“(We were) almost robbed of that finish because there wasn’t an extra day, and we didn’t have the time in the game. So, yes, something I’d definitely be open to,” felt Heather.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here