‘Ball of the Century’ by Shikha Pandey left the cricketing world puzzled

We have seen outstanding cricket being played between India and Australia Women. The all-format series which draws to closure has been action-packed, bringing in a mixed set of feelings and thrilling moments for the fans.

Australia beat India by 14 Runs in 3rd T20I
Australia beat India by 14 Runs in 3rd T20I

Apart from the close matches, we have seen the last ball game-changer, some great catches, direct hits, and what not but what fascinated everyone the most was the second ball of India’s bowling in the second T20I played on 9th October. Being called by different names- ‘Ball of the Summer’, ‘Ball of the Century’ that delivery by India’s right-arm pacer Shikha Pandey was definitely a hard one to think of.

The in-swing delivery which came after Australia’s opener Healy hit a boundary to begin their run chase, was around a meter outside Healy’s off-stump before it hit the pitch and then went on to hit the top of stumps leaving not just Healy but other players, the commentators and the fans completely astounded. The amazed cricketing world took to Twitter to share their reactions and the video of the ball posted by Cricket Australia went viral in a blink of an eye. Famous cricketers like former Indian opener Wasim Jaffer termed the ball as the ‘Ball of the Century of Women’s cricket.

Though India couldn’t take the match in their favour, we once again saw a wonderful display of batting and bowling by the women in blue. Not to forget another exciting moment of the match, the last wicket partnership between Pooja Vastrakar and Rajeshwari Gayakwad which prevented the team from being all out in less than a hundred runs and helped them play a full quota of 20 overs. Pooja struck an unbelievable 37 of 26 deliveries with three fours and 2 sixes while Rajeshwari played patiently handling her wicket and giving Pooja strike as much as possible. Their efforts helped India put up 118 onboard which though Australia was able to chase well, Indian bowlers gave their very best taking it to the penultimate over. The only thing that cost them the game once again was their fielding which wasn’t up to the mark.

Also Read:  As a bowling group, I think we got some great lessons: Coach Matthew Mott

Regardless of the match’s result and the series being won by Australia Women, Indian Women have proved their presence in Women’s cricket very well. Their sensational performance shows how well set they are ahead of the ICC World Cup next year.

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here