3rd T20I – Beth Mooney and Tahlia McGrath help Australia beat India by 14 Runs

The third T20I between India and Australia was played on Sunday at the Metricon Stadium in Queensland. Australia, having already won the multi-format series, the third T20I was going to be a match of just academic interest for the hosts. India, on the other hand, looked at the match with a view to drawing the three-match T20I series, in which Australia was leading by 1-0.

Australia beat India by 14 Runs in 3rd T20I
Australia beat India by 14 Runs in 3rd T20I

Winning the toss for the first time in the series, India elected to bowl first. Riding on opening bat Beth Mooney’s scintillating half-century, Australia posted a competitive 149-5 in 20 overs. Apart from Mooney (61 off 43 balls; 4s: 10), all-rounder, Tahlia McGrath chipped in with a quickfire 44 off 31 balls, including six boundaries and a six. For India, it was left-arm spinner Rajeshwari Gayakwad, who was the pick of the bowlers, scalping 2-37 in her four overs. Gayakwad picked up the key wickets of Mooney and Meg Lanning (14), who became the eighth player in the history of women’s T20Is to be out hit wicket.

In reply, India managed to score 135-6 in 20 overs, falling short of 14 runs. Despite Smriti Mandhana scoring a delightful half-century, her 14th 50+ score in T20Is, India failed to achieve the target set by Australia. Apart from Mandhana (52 runs off 49 balls; 4s:8), Jemimah Rodrigues was the other batter who made a useful contribution scoring 23 runs off 26 balls. In the last over, with 36 runs to get, wicket-keeper bat Richa Ghosh plundered Nicola Carey for 21 runs, smashing two boundaries and two sixes, but in the end, it was too much to get. Carey and Georgia Wareham got rid of Mandhana and Rodrigues to add to India’s woes. Carey was the top performer for Australia with the ball accounting for 2-21 in her four overs.

Also Read:  Preview: 42nd Match- Brisbane Heat v/s Hobart Hurricanes , Squads, Head-to-Head, Pitch, Probable Playing XI, Weather Report, Game Prediction, Fantasy Players

Australia’s Tahlia McGrath won the player of the match for her brilliant performance with the bat, lower down the order.

Australia won the three-match T20I series 2-0, with the first match producing no result. Australia also went on to win the multi-format series with 11 points to India’s 5 points.

Brief Score: Australia 149-5 in 20 overs (B Mooney 61; R Gayakwad 2-37) beat India 135-6 in 20 overs (S Mandhana 52; N Carey 2-42) by 14 runs

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here