1st T20I – Jemimah Rodrigues’ Shines but Rain Washouts the first T20I

The multi-format series between India and Australia Women has entered its last leg, which is the shortest format of the game, the T20I. However, just like the test, it was the rain that dominated the match yet again taking away the first of the three T20I.

Jemimah Rodrigues scored 49 not out during 1st T20I vs Australia
Jemimah Rodrigues scored 49 not out during 1st T20I vs Australia

After being put in to bat, the women in blue started off exceptionally well reaching 131 in 15 overs with the fall of 4 wickets. The team maintained the momentum throughout the innings hitting 17 fours and 4 sixes. Leading the team from the front was Jemimah Rodrigues who finished second in the list of top run-scorers during the Hundreds. She got unlucky yesterday after she missed out on a well-deserved half-century by just a single run due to the rain resulting in the stoppage of play which never resumed. She finished unbeaten on 49 of just 36 deliveries. During the post-match presentation, she expressed her disappointment of not being able to make it to the playing XI for the ODIs especially when she was in form, but at the same time was elated to be given a chance now and prove her presence.

Rodrigues said, “I was happy to be back out there after so long, I waited a long time for this,” she said. “Sitting out and watching everyone play, sometimes you wonder ‘when will my time come’. Today when the chance came, I was just enjoying it. I’m not very disappointed that the fifty didn’t happen because I know there are loads of runs coming.”

She further went on crediting the recently held maiden edition of The Hundreds which in her opinion helped her to analyze her shots and get back in form after not being able to perform well earlier this year in the home series against South Africa and then in the series away against England.

She said, “There’s so much to learn, but it wasn’t an easy time for me. There are lots of things going on sitting out, there were a lot of doubts in my head sitting out, but I’m grateful to be a part of this team. If not for the Hundred, I don’t think I would’ve even been selected to play for India.”

It was unfortunate that the first T20 got abandoned with both the teams sharing a point each. Australia currently leads the point-based series with 7 points while India is just a game behind at 5 points. Let’s hope we witness a complete game of cricket in the remaining two matches scheduled for 9th and 10th October respectively.

Also Read:   Tammy Beaumont encourages more investment in Women’s Cricket

To read about the Preview for 2nd T20I, click here

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here