“I won’t be shying away from what my strengths are,” says Ashleigh Gardner ahead of T20I series

The multi-format series between India and Australia is well-balanced as Australia are leading the charge with 6 points to India’s 4. The two-third of the series is completed with the ODI series going in Australia’s favor by a margin of 2-1 and the one-off Test ending in a draw. The two sides will play the final leg of the series starting October 7. India and Australia will play a three-match T20I series at the Carrara Oval in Queensland.

India vs Australia Squad that created History by playing First Ever day night Test Match
India vs Australia Squad that created History by playing First Ever day night Test Match

Addressing a press conference, Australia’s young all-rounder Ashleigh Gardner said, “I’m pretty clear on what my role is in T20 cricket and it does go back to that attacking brand that I like to play, and it’s a strength of mine. I won’t be shying away from what my strengths are. When I first started playing for Australia and even in state cricket, I was known as the hitter, and the person who came out and took the game on.”

However, her maiden half-century in Test cricket last week just revealed her different approach to batting. She has shown that she has the ability to change gears as per team requirements. Batting at No.6, she made 51 off 86 balls and stitched a match-saving 89-run partnership with Ellyse Perry (68 not out). This partnership helped Australia to avoid the follow-on.

The 24-year old said, “It was nice to spend some time out in the middle with ‘Pez’, and play a different role to what people have normally seen when I go out into the middle. I guess that’s the beauty of Test cricket – I had so much more time than what I normally do. However, I was pretty annoyed with when I got out and how I got out knowing that the second new ball was only two overs away. I had a bit of a brain fade and just didn’t execute what I set out to do, (but) all in all, it was nice to spend some time out in the middle and score some runs.”

Gardner has been around with the Australian time since 2017 and there is no doubt that she has matured as a player. She added, “That top order has been pretty flexible over the past 12-18 months, and we really like to utilize the left- and right-hand combos. Wherever the team needs me, I’ll just slot in.”

Also Read:  What are Australia's odds for Winning the Women's World Cup 2022?

This article is the summary of the original article published by Marco Montoverde for theaustralian.com.au

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here