1st ODI: Tammy Beaumont and Natalie Sciver power England to a 8 Wicket Win over India

The first ODI between India and England turned out to be a lopsided affair as the hosts defeated the visitors by eight wickets on Sunday at Bristol.

Tammy Beaumont and Natalie Sciver stitch 100+ Run partnership to take 1-0 Series lead in ODIs. PC: Twitter
Tammy Beaumont and Natalie Sciver stitch 100+ Run partnership to take 1-0 Series lead in ODIs. PC: Twitter

1st Inning:

Winning the toss and electing to bowl first, England restricted India to a modest score of 201-8 in 50 overs. After the fall of debutant Shafali Verma (15) and her opening partner Smriti Mandhana (10), India’s scoring rate slowed down. Punam Raut (32) and skipper Mithali Raj (72) looked to consolidate the innings but their approach was too defensive. The duo was guilty of scoring at a strike rate of under 70, which is not acceptable in the one-day format. Vice-captain Harmanpreet Kaur (1) fell cheaply and India found themselves in trouble before Deepti Sharma (30) joined hands with Raj to stitch the innings highest partnership of 65 runs. Small but valuable contributions lower down the order from Pooja Vastrakar (15) and wicket-keeper Taniya Bhatia (7) helped India go past the 200-run mark. The English bowlers on the other hand had a wonderful day at the office. Left-arm spinner Sophie Ecclestone was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-40 in her 10 overs. Seamers Katherine Brunt and Anya Shrubsole accounted for two wickets apiece, with Kate Cross striking with one.

2nd Innings:

In reply, England made a mockery of the chase as they achieved the target in just 34.5 overs, winning the match by eight wickets. Riding on twin unbeaten half-centuries from Tammy Beaumont (87) and Natalie Sciver (74), the hosts took a 1-0 lead in the three-match ODI series. The Indian bowlers had no answers to the English onslaught. Apart from Jhulan Goswami (1-25) and Ekta Bisht (1-55) none of the other bowlers managed to take a wicket.

Also Read:  Day-Night Test: India vs Australia Women | Squad | Fantasy XI | Weather | Pitch Report

With this win, the English take a lead of 4-2 over India in the multi-format series. In order to stay alive in the ODI series as well as to keep their hopes of winning their first-ever multi-format series, Mithali Raj and co. will have to show some more intent and put up a strong fight against this dominant opposition, who is even more lethal at home.

Brief Scores: India 201-8 in 50 overs (M Raj 72, P Raut 32; S Ecclestone 3-40) lost to England 202-2 in 34.5 overs (T Beaumont 87 not out, N Sciver 74 not out; J Goswami 1-25, E Bisht 1-55) by 8 wickets 

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here