Indian Women to fly to Australia in September for a Bilateral series

The Indian Women’s National Team is all set to fly to Australia in the month of September for a bilateral tour, but a confirmation from Cricket Australia and BCCI is pending. The tournament was supposed to happen in December 2020 but was postponed owing to travel restrictions in India.

Smriti Mandhana in action against Australia. Pic Credits: https://twitter.com/AusWomenCricket
Smriti Mandhana in action against Australia. Pic Credits: https://twitter.com/AusWomenCricket

Australia’s Megan Schutt hinted to the listeners on No Balls: The Cricket Podcast, hosted by English cricketers Kate Cross and Alex Hartley as she was heard mentioning the upcoming India tour to Australia.

“So, there’s a couple of camps. I believe we are doing one in Darwin, which will be really cool… and then the tour against India. And then pretty much from there, things get crazy with Big Bash, WNCL, Ashes, World Cup, and hopefully the Commonwealth Games,” Schutt said.

Team India will be leaving for their England Tour scheduled to start from June 16th at Bristol with a one-off Test match, followed by a three-match ODI and T20I series. For the past 1 year, India has played only one series as they invited South Africa for a five-match ODI and a three-match T20I series in March 2021.

The BCCI apex council had come up with India’s schedule in their recent meeting. It was announced that India will play Australia after playing England, and then invite West Indies for a tournament followed by a tri-series at the beginning of 2022, right before the ICC Women’s ODI World Cup 2022.

Also Read:  Current Records when India played against Australia Women in ODIs, Test and T20Is

India will also be participating in the Birmingham Commonwealth Games of 2022 and few players from the Indian contingent will be seen playing at the inaugural season of The Hundred and also at the Women’s Big Bash League this year. Though the Women’s T20 Challenge Trophy has been postponed in India, the players will keep themselves busy with back-to-back tournaments.

While Shafali Verma will be seen playing at both The Hundred as well as at the Women’s Big Bash League, Harmanpreet Kaur, Smriti Mandhana, Jemimah Rodrigues, and Deepti Sharma will be participating in The Hundred whereas Radha Yadav has been signed for the WBBL alongside Verma.

Vaishnavi Iyer

I’m a Senior Masters student pursuing Journalism and Mass Communication. An all time Cricket enthusiast. I could never play the game but always loved watching it, and now writing about it!

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here