Bangladesh squad for 5 T20I against India announced, Habiba Islam Pinky earns maiden call-up

It is the second home series three weeks apart from their recent bilateral against Australia, and the second home series against India in nearly nine months for Bangladesh as preparations pick up pace for the forthcoming Twenty20 (T20) World Cup, scheduled for later this year in Bangladesh. Meanwhile, the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has announced its squad for the India series.

The Nigar Sultana Joty-led squad features a couple of changes from their lineup that faced Australia in 3 T20 Internationals (T20Is) in March-April, which the visitors won 3-0. Notably, both Sumaya Akter and Farzana Akter Lisa did not play a game in the series and have been replaced by Rubya Haider Jhelik and Habiba Islam Pinky.

Fifteen-year-old Habiba Islam Pinky is the only uncapped player in the squad of 15 for the 5 T20Is against India. She featured in the Under-19 Tri-Nation T20 series earlier this year. Although she didn’t have much success in terms of wickets, managing just 1 in 5 games, she consistently was economical.

Bangladesh’s squad for India series:

Nigar Sultana Joty (C), Nahida Akter (VC), Murshida Khatun, Sobhana Mostary, Shorna Akter, Ritu Moni, Rabeya Khan, Sultana Khatun, Fahima Khatun, Marufa Akter, Fariha Islam Trisna, Shorifa Khatun, Dilara Akter, Rubya Haider Jhelik, Habiba Islam Pinky

Opening batter Rubya Haider Jhelik makes a return to the side after her last appearance during Bangladesh’s tour of Sri Lanka in 2023. The team faced batting struggles in their recent series against Australia and will look to Rubya to provide a solid foundation with substantial runs at the top of the order.

Also Read:  Better facilities, increased allowance and more matches in line for Bangladesh Women's Cricket team

Bangladesh will be banking on improved performances from their star players, from Nahida Akter to Ritu Moni and Marufa Akter, following their modest outings against Australia. In the previous series against India, Marufa Akter grabbed headlines for her pace and wicket-taking ability despite India securing a 2-1 T20I series win and will once again be under the spotlight in the upcoming series.

In the ICC T20I rankings, India currently holds the 3rd spot, while Bangladesh is seeded 9th. In their head-to-head record, Bangladesh once again finds themselves trailing behind, with India winning 14 out of 17 T20Is against them. However, the hosts have managed victories against Pakistan and South Africa in the recent past, providing them with confidence as they aim to start afresh.

Bangladesh v India, series schedule:

DATE MATCH TIME
28-Apr-24 1st T20I 6:00 PM
30-Apr-24 2nd T20I 6:00 PM
02-May-24 3rd T20I 1:30 PM
06-May-24 4th T20I 1:30 PM
09-May-24 5th T20I 6:00 PM
*All matches will be played at Sylhet International Cricket Stadium (SICS), Sylhet
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here