India Squad for Bangladesh tour announced, Asha Sobhana and S Sajana gets maiden call

The Women’s Selection Committee has announced the squad for Team India (Senior Women) for their upcoming tour of Bangladesh, which includes five T20Is.

Indian Women's team to tour Australia in December 2024 for 3 ODIs

With the Women’s Twenty20 (T20) World Cup scheduled for later this year in Bangladesh, India is gearing up for a pivotal 5-match T20 International (T20I) series against the host nation in late April and early May. With the series just around the corner, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has revealed a squad of 16.

The Harmanpreet Kaur-led squad welcomes breakthrough stars from the recently concluded Women’s Premier League (WPL) season, with Sajana Sajeevan and Asha Shobana earning their maiden call-ups. Additionally, Radha Yadav and Dayalan Hemalatha have also earned recalls to the national squad.

Notably, Jemimah Rodrigues is sidelined due to a back niggle, currently undergoing treatment at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bangalore. Her omission from the Bangladesh tour is a precautionary measure to ensure her availability for the upcoming T20 World Cup.

In addition to Jemimah Rodrigues, rookie talents Kanika Ahuja, Minnu Mani, and Mannat Kashyap have been dropped from the squad that was selected against Australia in January 2024. Notably, Kanika, Minnu, and Mannat did not feature in any matches during the Australia series.

India squad for the tour of Bangladesh:

Harmanpreet Kaur (C), Smriti Mandhana (VC), Shafali Verma, Dayalan Hemalatha, Sajana Sajeevan, Richa Ghosh (WK), Yastika Bhatia (WK), Radha Yadav, Deepti Sharma, Pooja Vastrakar, Amanjot Kaur, Shreyanka Patil, Saika Ishaque, Asha Sobhana, Renuka Singh Thakur, Titas Sadhu

Dayalan Hemalatha makes a comeback to the side after her last appearance in October 2022. This is on the back of impressive performances in the WPL, where she accumulated 115 runs from 7 innings, with a strike rate of 129.21. Her adeptness in clearing the fence and skillful play against spin undoubtedly bolstered her chances of returning to the team. During the WPL, she delivered several notable performances against strong bowling attacks, including a 33-ball 57 against UP Warriorz, a 25-ball 31* against Royal Challengers Bangalore, and a 40-ball 74 against Mumbai Indians.

Also Read:  Beth Mooney dethrones Meg Lanning to Top ICC's Latest T20I Rankings

Amongst the best fielders and a quality left-arm spinner, Radha Yadav last played for the team back in February 2023. At 23, she already has an impressive record of 68 wickets from 64 T20Is. She makes her return to the team as one of the most improved cricketers, particularly after working on her batting, following a fantastic domestic season. She capped off the ’23/24 season  by taking 10 wickets in 9 WPL games for the Delhi Capitals, establishing herself as a key strike bowler.

Sajana Sajeevan (29) has proven to be a valuable asset as both a handy off-spinner and a power-hitter. She made a memorable debut in the WPL by smashing a six off the final ball to win a game for Mumbai Indians. Batting lower down the order, she capitalized on her limited opportunities, finishing the season with 87 runs from 6 innings, striking at an impressive rate of 158.18. She also scalped 2 wickets from as many innings, highlighting her all-round capabilities.

Asha Sobhana stands out as one of the premier leg-spinners in the country. She made a significant impact during the 02 WPL season, capturing headlines with a remarkable five-wicket haul, becoming the first Indian to the feat. Building on her success, she ended the season with 12 wickets from 10 games. Although she experienced a slight dip in form mid-season, she demonstrated her ability to rise to the occasion, delivering figures of 2/14 (3) in the final.

This tour marks India’s second visit to Bangladesh in the last two years, following their 2-1 series win over Bangladesh in the T20Is last year. With a dominant record of 14 wins out of 17 T20Is against Bangladesh, India holds a clear edge over the hosts in head-to-head matchups. Taking notes from Australia, who recently secured a 3-0 victory over Bangladesh, India will aim for a clean sweep in their upcoming tour.

Also Read:  Know Your Player - Deepti Sharma

Schedule: India Women’s tour of Bangladesh 2024

No. Date Time (IST) Match Venue
1 Sunday, April 28, 2024 6:00 PM 1st T20I SICS, Sylhet
2 Tuesday, April 30, 2024 6:00 PM 2nd T20I SICS, Sylhet
3 Thursday, May 2, 2024 1:30 PM 3rd T20I SICS, Sylhet
4 Monday, May 6, 2024 1:30 PM 4th T20I SICS, Sylhet
5 Thursday, May 9, 2024 6:00 PM 5th T20I SICS, Sylhet

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here