Match 8 – Skipper Divya Gnananand’s match-winning 83 Runs steer Heron Sports to a Win

The eighth match of the T20 India Nippon Cup was played between Ameya Sports and Heron Sports at Samprasiddhi Sports Estadio, Bangalore, on January 8, in the afternoon.

Veda Krishnamurthy, captain of Ameya Sports, won the toss and elected to bat first. The opening pair of Thirush Kamini (12) and Nikki Prasad (5) failed to lay a solid foundation for the batters to follow. Heron Sports’ Aditi Rajesh sent the duo back into the hut in the fifth over. Coming in at number three, skipper Veda Krishnamurthy took the attack to the opposition and muscled a 44-ball 62. Her innings was laced with nine boundaries. Mona Meshram (31) joined hands with Krishnamurthy and the two set the ball rolling for Ameya Sports. Riding on the captain’s delightful half-century, Ameya Sports posted 129-5 in 20 overs. For Heron Sports, it was Aditi Rajesh, who was the pick of the bowlers, as she scalped 2-23 in her three overs.

Divya Gnananand. Pic Credits: Falcon Sports Club / Instagram
Divya Gnananand. Pic Credits: Falcon Sports Club / Instagram

In reply, Heron Sports, who had not won a single match before this game, were rearing to go and register their first win of the tournament. Heron Sports’ captain Divya Gnananand showed her class yet again as she packed a punch with an unbeaten 83 off just 67 balls. 12 boundaries and two sixes embellished her innings. Despite losing her opening partner Shubha Satish (0) on the third ball of the innings, Divya ensured that there were no more hiccups. Minnu Mani (31), who has been in good touch joined hands with Divya as the duo stitched a scintillating century partnership. Heron Sports chased down the target in 19.3 overs, winning the match by eight wickets. For Ameya Sports, Pranavi Chandra and Pooja Kumari were the wicket-takers, as they scalped one wicket apiece.

Also Read:  Interview with Bharti Fulmali - Promising talent from Vidarbha Cricket Association

Heron Sports’ Divya Gnananand won the Player of the Match award for her match-winning innings of 83 not out off 67 balls.

Both the teams will play their next match on Saturday at the same venue. Ameya Sports will play against Sheen Sports, while Heron Sports will lock horns against Kini RR Sports.

Brief Scores: Ameya Sports 129-5 in 20 overs (V Krishnamurthy 62, M Meshram 31; A Rajesh 2-23) lost to Heron Sports 132-2 in 20 overs (D Gnananand 83 not out, M Mani 31; P Chandra 1-12, P Kumari 1-23) by 8 wickets

Points Table

Position Team Played Won Lost Tied No result Points Net run rate
1 Kini RR Sports 4 3 1 0 0 6 +0.175
2 Sheen Sports 4 2 1 0 1 5 +0.334
3 Heron Sports 4 1 2 0 1 3 +0.019
4 Ameya Sports 4 1 3 0 0 2 -0.449

Updated after Match 8

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here