Match 1: Divya Gnananada’s gutsy half-century in vain as Ameya Sports clinch their first Win

The first match of the T20 India Nippon Cup was played between Ameya Sports and Heron Sports at Samprasiddhi Sports Estadio, Bangalore.

Veda Krishnamurthy, captain of Ameya Sports, won the toss and elected to field first. Putting in to bat, Heron Sports piled up a challenging score of 144-2 in the full quota of 20 overs. Leading from the front, Heron Sports’ skipper and opening bat Divya Gnananada muscled a 55-ball 87 and remained unbeaten. Her innings was embellished with 11 boundaries and three sixes. Coming in at no. 3, Minu Mani played a patient knock of 35 (47) and supported her captain well. Among the wickets were Akanksha Kohli and Anuja Patil, who picked up one apiece.

Divya Gnanananda
Divya Gnanananda scored 87* in just 55 Balls for Heron Sports

In reply, Ameya Sports did not get off to the best of starts as the team lost its opening pair of Prerana Rajesh (0) and Thirush Kamini (5) cheaply. Heron Sports’ left-arm quick Monica Patel wreaked havoc with her opening spell as she sent both Rajesh and Kamini back into the hut in her first two overs. Nikki Prasad, who came in at number three, showed a lot of character and promise, as she weathered the storm. Prasad scored a brilliant 61 off just 46 balls and set a strong foundation for Ameya Sports. Her innings was laced with eight boundaries and two maximums. She was also involved in an 85-run partnership with skipper Veda Krishnamurthy (39). Krishnamurthy looked good during her 35-ball knock as she smashed five fours and a solitary six.

With 33 to get off the last 4.2 overs, it was still anybody’s game. However, Ameya Sports’ Anuja Patil was in no mood to let loose, as she played a match-winning cameo, scoring 17 off just 9 balls, to take her side home. Patil smacked three boundaries and hit the winning runs for her team. Ameya Sports chased down the target in 19.4 overs with four wickets in hand. Monica Patel (2), Akshaya S (1) and Asha Joy (1) were the wicket-takers for Heron Sports.

Also Read:  Match 2: Deepti Sharma's excellent all-round show helped Sheen Sports defeat Kini RR Sports

Both the teams will play their next match tomorrow at the same venue. Heron Sports will play against Kini RR Sports, while Ameya Sports will lock horns against Sheen Sports.

Brief Scores:

Heron Sports 144-2 in 20 overs (D Gnanananda 87 not out, M Mani 35; A Kohli 1-29, A Patil 1-26)
lost to
Ameya Sports 146-6 in 19.4 overs (N Prasad 61, V Krishnamurthy 39; M Patel 2-12) by 4 wickets

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here