Match 15 Summary – England Women beat South Africa Women to book their Semi-Final berth

A hattrick from Shrubsole in 20th over and a brilliant bowling performance by N Sciver paved the way for England, as they went on to win their 3rd match. Seating on the top of points table they’re surely going to make it to the semis. On the other hand this was South Africa’s 2nd defeat in the 3 matches played by them, indicating their exit from the World Cup.

Electing to bat, South Africa women could manage to score only 85 runs in 19.3 overs and lost all their wickets in the process. Proteas opened the innings with Wolvaardt (4) and Lee (12) who couldn’t give the team a good start as they lost their wicket early. Lee looked good with the bat but couldn’t make the things work today, she missed the ball completely and lost leg before wicket to Sciver. Hopes were now on Captain and Kapp but even they failed to deliver. A straight drive from Mignon and Gordon’s contact with the ball caused Niekerk her wicket, an unfortunate one for sure. Mignon (16) and Tryon (27) did accelerate SA’s innings to an extent but couldn’t capitulate. Mignon who hit 16 in 19 balls (1x6s) gave an easy catch to Sciver at mid on. Tryon scored 27 in 28 balls with one boundary and two sixes, lost her wicket as the ball went straight up after nicking the top-edge of bat to mid off for Ecclestone to catch. After that it was just a matter of 2 overs and the entire South African team was back in pavilion.

Also Read:  Match 5 Summary : India Women vs Pakistan Women - Dominant India beat Pakistan by 7 Wickets

Bowlers did an amazing job. Especially N Sciver who took 3 wickets by giving just 4 runs in her spell of 4 overs and Shrubsole dismissed Ismail, Klaas and Fourie in successive deliveries and registered her hattrick, the first in this year’s World Cup.

England chased the total with 35 balls to spare with openers Danielle Wyatt and Beaumont giving the perfect start to the innings. 55 runs partnership for the 1st wicket and half the game was won there. Wyatt scored 27 runs in 27 balls with four boundaries and Beaumont hit 24 runs in 25 balls with three boundaries. Both of them lost their wicket to Niekerk. Sciver (3) failed to deliver from bat and lost her wicket to Daniels. H Knight (14) and A Jones (14) both stayed on the field in the end and finished the match for England.

The only bowler who managed to put some pressure on batsmen was Niekerk. She dismissed both the openers in her spell of 3 overs by giving 13 runs.

Heather Knight : So pleased with our bowling effort. We set the tone with the ball. Our fielding was outstanding too. It’s swung around a little bit but pitch was dry so we decided to stay with the combination and it worked tonight. Anya Shrubsole is an outstanding cricketer, she did a terrific job in the final overs. Elly Jones has been very tidy behind the stumps. Unfortunately, she has played in the same era as Sarah Taylor. I am pleased with her.

Dane van Niekerk : We apology to our country. I don’t have answers at the moment. We have the talent but at the end, we have to perform which we failed to do. In T20 cricket, teams with more runs win. I don’t know what is going on. I should have bowled with the new ball. I have no answers at the moment. There is nothing wrong with the team’s talent. There is an issue with mindset. We have to bat well.

Also Read:  ICC T20I Team of the Year 2021 Announced, Smriti Mandhana earns a Spot

Natalie Sciver : Nice to get the first over in absence of Katherine Brunt. It has been brilliant. Had a look at super league bowling up front. Definitely keeping the stumps in play and bowling it straight. And if it’s swinging, you have to try and attack in the first six overs. Lee had shown what she can do and I needed to keep it straight. Jones has done amazingly well and it is an asset to our bowling.

Brief scores

England won by 7 wickets

South Africa 85-10 in 19.3 overs (C Tryon 27 runs, M du Preez 16 runs, Lee 12 runs; Sciver 3/4)

England 87-3 in 14.1 overs (D Wyatt 27 runs, Beaumont 24 runs, A Jones 11 runs; Dane van Niekerk 2/13)

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here