No.1 ranking should end debate on investing in women’s sport – Sana Mir

Sana Mir , the number 1 ranked bowler spoke to ICC ahead of their T20 World Cup 2018 Campaign and is hoping to inspire more and more girls to take up the sport in Pakistan

“It’s a great feeling [to be No.1],” said Mir, who last year became only the sixth woman to complete the double of 100 wickets and 1000 runs in the 50-over format. “But more importantly, why this No.1 ranking is important to me is that it will give a lot of confidence to young girls, especially in Pakistan, that they can reach the top of any sport they pick.”

An Open Letter to Sana Mir by a Female Cricket fan

“A lot of times, when sport is being organised in Pakistan, a lot of sponsors and corporates [ask] whether the Pakistani girls are good enough to take up sport as a career,” she said. “So I think this should end the debate about whether girls should play cricket, play sport or not.

“If I can achieve this No.1 ranking, any girl in Pakistan who puts in hard work and is true to the game can do that in any sport. So it should end the debate of whether we should invest in women’s sport.”

Loves all things female cricket

Also Read:  Bangladesh name their T20 Squad for upcoming Women's World Cup 2018
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here