1. Taniya Bhatia was born on 28 November 1997, in Chandigarh.
2. Taniya’s father wanted her to become cricketer from a very young age.
3. Bhatia’s father was himself a cricket player and so was her uncle.
4. He saw the talent she had as a 7-year-old.
5. He wanted her to become a bowler but her height didn’t allow her.
6. She is primarily a wicket-keeper batswoman.
7. Her brother too has joined the U-19 cricket team.
8. Taniya in an interview said that playing with boys helped her develop aggressive body language and strong temperament.
9. The 21-year-old was picked in the side when she was just 11.
10. She was the youngest girl to represent Punjab at the U-19 level.
11. At the age of 13, Bhatia became the youngest player to play for the senior Punjab team in the inter-state domestic tournament in 2011.
12. She represented the North Zone and also captained the U19 North Zone side back in 2015 and scored 227 runs.
13. After that, her bat failed to speak for two years which brought her depression and self-doubt.
14. But with her parent’s support, she won her confidence back.
15. Soon she made her ODI debut on 11th September 2018 vs Srilanka
16. And her T20 debut on 13th Feb 2018 vs South Africa.
17. Bhatia, still aged 21, gave credit to ODI skipper Mithali Raj for helping her settle into the national set-up so quickly.
18. Taniya has always been a great admirer of Adam Gilchrist.
She is certainly an inspiration to many girls out there!
Female Cricket is a digital news portal that aims to spread, share and celebrate the journey of our female cricketers around the world.