West Indies’ nightmare tour ends as England clean sweeps T20I series 5-0

West Indies was handed yet another eight-wicket defeat at the hands of England and they also registered their lowest-ever total in Women’s T20Is. England whitewashed them 5-0 comprehensively and outplayed them completely in the series.

West Indies’ nightmare tour ends as England clean sweeps T20I series 5-0. PC: EnglandCricket / Twitter
West Indies’ nightmare tour ends as England clean sweeps T20I series 5-0. PC: EnglandCricket / Twitter

Batting first, West Indies had a disastrous outing with the bat. Skittled for a paltry 43 in just 16.2 overs, they just could not stand up to the might of England. They had a rough start in the first over and in the next three overs, they lost crucial wickets and within the powerplay, they were in all sorts of trouble. Freya Davies got the better of Hayley Matthews and Rashada Williams and unfortunately, Aaliyah Alleyne was dismissed hit wicket by Nat Sciver for 1.

Issy Wong then dismissed Shabika Gajnabi and West Indies was at 14/4 and with Trishan Holder getting dismissed for a nine-ball duck, the match was out of their hands as they were already five wickets down. Charlie Dean got rid of Kyshona Knight after the powerplay and West Indies was reeling at 24/6. Alice Davidson Richards joined the party and struck twice in the same over getting the wickets of Afy Fletcher for 1 and Djenaba Joseph for 11, the only two-digit scorer in the West Indies batting lineup. Freya Davies came back and complemented Davidson-Richards well ensuring that the tail was cleaned up and this meant the demise of West Indies batting for 43.

England comfortably chased down the target. Owing to a good opening stand of 22 by Sophia Dunkley and Danni Wyatt, England was on course. West Indies did try to make it difficult for England as skipper Hayley Matthews dismissed Sophia Dunkley lbw for a run a ball 7 and Karishma Ramharack also dismissed Danni Wyatt for a run a ball 11. These wickets however did not threaten the run chase as a cameo by Nat Sciver, a brilliant 20 off 12 sealed the deal for England.

Also Read:  Complete Squad Analysis of London Spirit : The Women’s Hundred 2021

England won the match without much hassle and deservingly, Freya Davies was awarded the ‘Player of The Match’ for her match-winning spell of 3/2 with one maiden and an unbelievable economy rate of 0.86 to cap it off.

Brief scores: West Indies 43 all out (Djenaba Joseph 11, F Davies 3/2, Davidson-Richards 3/5, Dean 2/8) lost to England 44/2 (Sciver 20*, Ramharack 1/1, HK Matthews 1/12)

I am a first year postgraduate student pursuing a MA in Media and Communication Studies at Christ University, Bengaluru. I am a podcaster, blogger and an avid cricket fan. When not glued to cricket matches, you can find me submerged in books and thinking about cricket all the time.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here