Heather Knight back to lead England in upcoming ODI and T20I series against West Indies

The Cricket West Indies (CWI) early in November announced they’ll be hosting the England women’s team for a 3-match One-Day International (ODI) series and a 5-match Twenty20 International (T20I) series early in December. The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) for the series have announced their squad for the 8-match tour of the Caribbean.

Heather Knight. PC: Getty Images
Heather Knight. PC: Getty Images

Big boosts for England ahead of the series see skipper, Heather Knight, back after recovering from surgery on her hip, and partners, Nat Sciver and Katherine Brunt too will mark their return with the tour of the Caribbean after having opted out of the last leg of the summer to priorities their well being.

A highlight from the T20I squad is the return of Lauren Winfield-Hill for the first time since February 2020 following her brilliant run in the recently concluded English summer of cricket. England’s both, One-Day and T20 squads are briefed below.

England’s ODI squad for the West Indies series :

Heather Knight, Tammy Beaumont, Lauren Bell, Alice Capsey, Kate Cross, Alice Davidson-Richards, Freya Davies, Charlie Dean, Sophia Dunkley, Sophie Ecclestone, Amy Jones, Freya Kemp, Emma Lamb, Nat Sciver, Danni Wyatt

England’s T20I squad for the West Indies series :

Heather Knight, Lauren Bell, Katherine Brunt, Alice Capsey, Freya Davies, Charlie Dean, Sophia Dunkley, Sophie Ecclestone, Sarah Glenn, Amy Jones, Freya Kemp, Nat Sciver, Lauren Winfield-Hill, Issy Wong, Danni Wyatt

Jon Lewis, England’s newly appointed, women’s team head coach, said, “I’m really excited to get to the West Indies and start working with this group. Though I wasn’t involved in the selection for this trip, we did have some brief discussions in the lead-up to selection and I’m pleased for everyone who’s been selected.

“It’s great to have Heather, Nat and Katherine back in the group. The quality and experience they bring can only add huge value both on and off the field. We will manage Katherine back into competitive cricket with an eye on the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in February.

“Equally, for Lauren, it’s pleasing to see a player go through a tough period and come back stronger while demonstrating terrific form at domestic and franchise level. I have been particularly impressed with Lauren’s ability to put the bowlers under pressure and score at an impressive run rate in the power play.”

Also Read:  Heather Knight is set to make a comeback after successful Hip Surgery

England’s tour for the West Indies 2022 Schedule

DATE EVENT TIME (GMT) VENUE
04-Dec-2022 1st ODI 6:00 PM
Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Ground, Antigua
06-Dec-2022 2nd ODI 6:00 PM
09-Dec-2022 3rd ODI 6:00 PM
11-Dec-2022 1st T20I 10:00 PM Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Ground, Antigua
14-Dec-2022 2nd T20I 10:00 PM
Kensington Oval, Barbados
17-Dec-2022 3rd T20I 10:00 PM
18-Dec-2022 4th T20I 10:00 PM
22-Dec-2022 5th T20I 10:00 PM

With the upcoming, ICC Women’s T20 World Cup just around the corner, the series will serve as a crucial lead-up to both the West Indies and England to lock their final set of 15 for the mega ICC event. The big positive ahead of the series remains, the return of England’s senior trio as they get the required game time ahead of the World Cup.

(Quotes sourced from ECB media release)

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here