New Zealand to host England and Australia in Feb-March 2021, Schedules Confirmed

New Zealand cricket announced that it will host England Women and Australia Women in February-March and March-April respectively for a three-match ODI and three-match T20I series.

England Women's tour of New Zealand 2021
England Women’s tour of New Zealand 2021

England will arrive in New Zealand on January 26 and undergo the mandatory 14-day quarantine period. Once England has finished this, it will travel to Queenstown for a nine-day training camp. They will play warm-up games at John Davies Oval on February 14 and 16.

The bilateral series will begin from February 23 with three-match ODI series, followed by three-match T20I series. The last match of the series will be played on March 7.

Kent Women trio of opening bat Tammy Beaumont, left-arm seamer Tash Farrant and middle-order Fran Wilson have been selected in England Women’s squad. Farrant, who had a wonderful outing with the South East Stars during the Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy has made a comeback into the squad after playing her last in 2018, while Beaumont and Wilson have retained their places.

England Women squad: Heather Knight (captain), Tammy Beaumont, Katherine Brunt, Kate Cross, Freya Davies, Sophia Dunkley, Sophie Ecclestone, Georgia Elwiss, Tash Farrant, Sarah Glenn, Amy Jones, Nat Sciver, Mady Villiers, Fran Wilson, Lauren Winfield-Hill, Danni Wyatt

Director of England Women’s Cricket, Jonathan Finch, said: “We’re hugely excited about getting over to New Zealand and maintaining our commitment to play international cricket despite these challenging times. We have a really important 24 months in front of us with two ICC Global Events, the Women’s Ashes and the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham. Our ambition is to be successful across all these events and this tour is the first step towards achieving that. 2020 has provided many challenges, but under the leadership of Lisa and Heather we have a group of players who are excited about the opportunities that lie ahead.”

Also Read:  Lea Tahuhu ruled out of England's ODI series due to Hamstring Injury

England tour of New Zealand schedule

Date Match Venue
Feb 23, 2021 1st ODI Christchurch
Feb 26, 2021 2nd ODI Dunedin
Feb 28, 2021 3rd ODI Dunedin
Mar 3, 2021 1st T20I Wellington
Mar 5, 2021 2nd T20I Auckland
Mar 7, 2021 3rd T20I Tauranga

Just in a few days after England depart, Australia will arrive in New Zealand and undergo the mandatory isolation ahead of the series.

The New Zealand-Australia series will commence from March 28 with three-match T20I series, followed by three-match ODI series. The last match of the series will be played on April 10.

Australia tour of New Zealand schedule

Date Match Venue
Mar 28, 2021 1st T20I Hamilton
Mar 30, 2021 2nd T20I Hamilton
Apr 1, 2021 3rd T20I Hamilton
Apr 4, 2021 1st ODI Tauranga
Apr 7, 2021 2nd ODI Tauranga
Apr 10, 2021 3rd ODI Tauranga

“We’re very grateful to the New Zealand government for supporting and enabling these women’s tours and for creating an environment in which they can proceed. It’s great that New Zealand and the world will be able to see these two terrific women’s sides – Australia and England, in action against the White Ferns, and women’s cricket receiving the attention it deserves. And with the ICC Women’s World Cup to be hosted in New Zealand next summer, it’s particularly important that teams are able to play and compete and develop their games ahead of such a significant tournament, NZC chief executive David White said.

It will be an interesting contest since New Zealand will play the ODI champions England first and then the T20I champions Australia next.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  3rd ODI - Amelia Kerr fires New Zealand to victory by 7 wickets
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here