2nd T20I – England takes an unassailable lead of 2-0 against New Zealand

The second T20I between England and New Zealand was played on Friday at Westpac Stadium in Wellington.

Freya Davies. PC: England Cricket / Twitter
Freya Davies. PC: England Cricket / Twitter

Winning the toss and electing to bowl first, England restricted New Zealand to a modest 123-9 in 20 overs. White Ferns’ skipper Sophie Devine (8) got out early and so did her opening partner Hayley Jensen (12). Struggling at 28-2 in five overs, Amy Satterthwaite and Amelia Kerr (25) came together to stitch a 56-run partnership. After the fall of Kerr and then of wicket-keeper bat Katey Martin (0), Brooke Halliday (16 not out) joined hands with Satterthwaite (49) to take the hosts to a decent score. With the ball for England, right arm quick Freya Davies was the wrecker-in-chief as she scalped 4-23 in her four overs.

In reply, Heather Knight and co. chased down the target with ease as they finished the game in 17.2 overs, with six wickets to spare. Opening bat Tammy Beaumont top-scored with a 53-ball 63, smashing seven boundaries and a six. Danielle Wyatt (9) and Nat Sciver (0) fell cheaply, but captain Heather Knight (39) ensured that her team was safe. Beaumont and Knight put together 83 runs to take England to a commanding position. On the other hand, the New Zealand bowlers did not have a great day at the office as they managed to pick up just four wickets. Rosemary Mair was the pick of the bowlers as she struck with 2-22 in three overs. Leigh Kasperek and Hayley Jensen were the other wicket-takers accounting for one scalp apiece.

Also Read:  1st ODI - Tammy Beaumont's Half-Century powered England to a 8 Wicket Win over New Zealand

England’s Freya Davies won the Player of the Match award for her stellar bowling performance. Davies gave away just 23 runs at 5.8 runs per over and picked up a four-wicket haul, her first in 10 T20Is so far.

The third T20I will be played on Sunday at the same venue. Since England has taken an unassailable lead of 2-0 in the three-match T20I series, the last and final T20I will be a dead rubber.

Brief Scores: New Zealand 123-9 in 20 overs (A Satterthwaite 49, A Kerr 25; F Davies 4-23, N Sciver 2-25, S Glenn 2-27) lost to England 124-4 in 17.2 overs (T Beaumont 63, H Knight 39; R Mair 2-22) by 6 wickets

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here