Match 8: New Zealand v Sri Lanka Women | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

The eighth women’s T20I in the 2022 Commonwealth Games will be played between New Zealand and Sri Lanka on August 2 at Edgbaston in Birmingham. The match will start at 10.30 PM IST.

Match 8: New Zealand v Sri Lanka Women | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live streaming

Squads

New Zealand: Sophie Devine (c), Suzie Bates, Eden Carson, Izzy Gaze, Claudia Green, Maddy Green, Brooke Halliday, Hayley Jensen, Fran Jonas, Amelia Kerr, Rosemary Mair, Jess McFadyen, Georgia Plimmer, Hannah Rowe, Lea Tahuhu

Sri Lanka: Chamari Athapaththu (c), Hasini Perera, Harshitha Samarawickrama, Vishmi Gunaratne, Malsha Shehani, Nilakshi de Silva, Kavisha Dilhari, Ama Kanchana, Achini Kulasuriya, Inoka Ranaweera, Udeshika Prabodhani, Sugandika Kumari, Rashmi de Silva, Oshadi Ranasinghe, Anushka Sanjeewani

Last 5 performances

While New Zealand have won three out of their last five matches, Sri Lanka, on the other hand, have won just the one match and lost four. 

Head-to-Head

New Zealand and Sri Lanka have played eight T20Is against each other and New Zealand have won all of them. 

Players to watch

Sophie Devine: 

The captain of New Zealand is a world-class all-rounder. In her last match against South Africa, she made match winning contributions with both bat and ball. The right-handed opening batter muscled 48 off 40 and with the ball, scalped 37/3 in four overs, bowling right arm medium pace.

Suzie Bates: 

The leading run-getter in women’s T20I cricket scored an unbeaten 91 off 64 in her last outing against South Africa. She smashed eight boundaries and three sixes. In the process, she stitched a 99-run opening stand with her partner Sophie Devine.

Amelia Kerr: 

She is a right-handed top order batter and a right arm leg spinner. She had a good outing with both bat and ball in her last encounter against South Africa. She scored 20 runs off 16 balls and picked up 24/1 in four overs.

Also Read:  New Zealand Women's Cricket at CWG 2022 | Schedule, Squad, Live Streaming, Latest News

Chamari Athapaththu: 

The captain of Sri Lanka is a left-handed opening batter and a right arm off spinner. She did not have the best of days on field against England in her last match. She scored 10 off 18 and conceded 11 runs in 2.1 overs. Though she had an ordinary outing in her last appearance, she will be a vital cog in the Sri Lankan line-up.

Inoka Ranaweera: 

The wily left arm spinner from Sri Lanka was the most successful bowler in the team in her last match against England. She claimed 29/3 in four overs. She bowled well in the middle phase of the innings and tamed the free flow of runs by the opposition.

Oshadi Ranasinghe: 

The right-arm off spinner of Sri Lanka opened the bowling with Sugandika Kumari in her last game against England. She bowled well with the new ball picking up 20/2 in four overs. She struck in her very first over of the match. Apart from her bowling, she is more than a handy left-handed lower order batter.

Pitch

The wicket looks good for batting and the outfield is lightning quick. A high scoring run contest could be on the cards. The team winning the toss may look to bat first and put up a fighting score on board.

Weather

The weather is expected to see a couple of morning showers otherwise it will be breezy with clouds breaking for some sun. The maximum temperature forecast is 24 degrees Celsius. There will be 69 percent cloud cover and 62 percent chance of rain. The wind will blow from the south-west. 

Also Read:  Summary: Match 13 - An All-round display from McGrath helps Strikers to score an easy win against Scorchers - WBBL05

Fantasy Playing XI

Anushka Sanjeewani, Suzie Bates, Nilakshi de Silva, Hasini Perera, Sophie Devine, Amelia Kerr, Chamari Athapaththu, Inoka Ranaweera, Oshadi Ranasinghe, Hayley Jensen, Hannah Rowe

Upcoming milestones

• Suzie Bates is 29 runs away from completing 3500 T20I runs. At present, she is the leading run scorer in women’s T20Is.

Match details

Date: August 2, 2022

Time: 10.30PM IST

Venue: Edgbaston, Birmingham

Live streaming: Sony LIV, Sony TEN

Follow Female Cricket on Instagram and Twitter for all the latest news and updates

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here