Heather Knight to miss Opening Commonwealth Game against Sri Lanka due to Injury

Women’s cricket at Commonwealth Games is officially underway with the opener between two top teams of group A in Australia and India. Hosts, England get their campaign underway on 30th July against Sri Lanka at 6 PM local time, but the hosts have an unwanted blow come their way ahead of their opener.

Heather Knight to miss Opening Commonwealth Game against Sri Lanka due to Injury. PC: Getty Images
Heather Knight to miss Opening Commonwealth Game against Sri Lanka due to Injury. PC: Getty Images

English skipper, Heather Knight had missed the last couple of T20I games in the series against South Africa due to a hip injury and it now is that she’ll be missing the opening game of the Commonwealth Games against Sri Lanka. England women’s team manager provided an update on Heather Knight during the 3rd T20I stating, “Heather Knight has irritation in her hip joint. She has had an injection and will continue to be assessed and treated ahead of the Commonwealth Games. She will miss today’s third T20I as a precaution.”

Heather Knight is one of England’s most successful skippers. The English side, under her leadership, went on to win the 2017 World Cup. Having failed to retain their title in 2022 as Australia went on to win the 50-over World Cup they finished as runner-ups. The English side is in-form and doesn’t have to worry about missing Heather Knight the batter, but will the leader Heather Knight is. With Nat Sciver set to fill in the shoes of Heather Knight, it isn’t a disappointing change for England.

Knight in her statement to the PA news agency said, “I haven’t managed to be fit for (Saturday), it’s taken a little bit longer to settle than I would have liked but the goal now is Tuesday and trying to be ready for that. It’s one of those wait-and-see things, we’re not too sure how it’s going to progress, but I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t think I could play a role that’s going to contribute in the games. It’s frustrating but the thing with these injuries is you have to be patient and give them the time to heal properly and not rush back too quickly. They’re in capable hands now and Nat will do a great job.”

Also Read:  Will Pooja Vastrakar be available for match against Pakistan?

ENGLAND’S SQUAD FOR THE GAMES :

Heather Knight (C), Nat Sciver (VC), Maia Bouchier, Katherine Brunt, Alice Capsey, Kate Cross, Freya Davies, Sophia Dunkley, Sophie Ecclestone, Sarah Glenn, Amy Jones, Freya Kemp, Bryony Smith, Issy Wong, Danni Wyatt.

GROUP A : Australia, India, Pakistan, Barbados

GROUP B : England, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka

England’s Schedule for Commonwealth Games

JULY 30: England v Sri Lanka (6 PM local)

AUGUST 2 : England v South Africa (11 AM local)

AUGUST 4 : England v New Zealand (6 PM local)

SEMI FINALS : Aug 6 (11 AM local) and (6 PM local)

BRONZE MEDAL MATCH : Aug 7 (10 AM local)

GOLD MEDAL MATCH : Aug 7 (5 PM local)

*All matches will be played at Edgbaston.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here