Why will Marizanne Kapp miss Commonwealth Games?

The countdown is on for women’s cricket to get underway at the Commonwealth Games on the 29th of July to mark its debut with a rich rivalry in the making that between Australia and India. A few days away from the start of the Games and there’s come a huge blow to South Africa in Marizanne Kapp’s unavailability.

Why will Marizanne Kapp miss Commonwealth Games? PC:Getty Images
Why will Marizanne Kapp miss Commonwealth Games? PC: Getty Images

South Africa recently completed their multi-format series against England that was a part of their buildup for the Games and the final leg, the 3-match T20I series saw the absence of Marizanne Kapp since the first T20I as she had to rush back home to attend to her family. Cricket South Africa on 21st July put out a media release stating Tumi Sekhukhune’s injury and Marizanne Kapp’s fly back home but didn’t disclose the matter in detail. After a lot of speculations and buzz around the news, Marizanne Kapp’s partner and teammate, Dane van Niekerk disclosed the matter via a social media post to put a hold on assumptions.

Dane van Niekerk’s Instagram post read, “Without trying to go too much into detail, we have been rocked with an accident and our beloved brother in law is in ICU at the moment with burn wounds to his hand and face. It has been INCREDIBLY traumatic for Marizaane’s youngest sister (his wife) and his/our whole family. People that question Marizaane Kapp’s commitment to the team, should understand that family comes first, ALWAYS. She played (a test and ODIs) through her nephew being ill and her niece being very ill as well. Have some empathy or just some sympathy.. She/We as players are only human. Please remember that.”

Tumi Sekhukhune being sent back home for rehabilitation ensured she isn’t having an early return, atleast not this soon that she’ll be participating in the Games. The sensitiveness of Marizanne Kapp’s exit didn’t show hopes of her return and was a matter of time before an official confirmation comes out on the same. Hilton Moreeng, head coach of South Africa confirmed Marizanne Kapp’s absence and spoke about it as an opportunity for youngsters.

Also Read:  Complete Schedule of 2022 Commonwealth Games Cricket Qualifier

South Africa after drawing the one-off Test match, lost the ODI series 0-3 and then the T20I series 0-3 which saw England win the multi-format series with a dominant 14-2 margin. South Africa’s only in-form player after Laura Wolvaardt was the experienced, all-rounder Marizanne Kapp who is now unavailable for the Games. This undoubtedly is a major blow for South Africa that comes after senior player and regular skipper, Dane van Niekerk’s unavailability due to an injury and experienced batter, Lizelle Lee’s unavailability as she announced her retirement from all forms of international cricket aged 30.

South Africa roped in Tazmin Brits for the last couple of T20I games, the final T20I and her 2nd game of the tour saw her score a fine 57-ball-59. It’s Tazmin Brits who’ll now replace Marizanne Kapp and South Africa will be hoping that it was just a start with a 59 in the 3rd T20I and that she will have a lot more to offer at the upcoming Games event.

Follow everything about Commonwealth Games here on Twitter and Instagram

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here