“I will have the gold medal in mind every single time,” says Katherine Brunt

England have got the upcoming, Commonwealth Games on their home soil and there’s no doubt that there’s always some bit of extra pressure from fans and localities towards their team for winning the trophy or medal in this case. Katherine Brunt’s recent interaction with Sky Sports reflects she’s got the fire lit and burning.

England bowler Katherine Brunt reacts during the 2nd Vitality IT20 match between England Women and South Africa Women at New Road on July 23, 2022 in Worcester, England. (Photo by Stu Forster - ECB/ECB via Getty Images)
England bowler Katherine Brunt reacts during the 2nd Vitality IT20 match between England Women and South Africa Women at New Road on July 23, 2022 in Worcester, England. (Photo by Stu Forster – ECB/ECB via Getty Images)

Katherine Brunt in her recent T20I outing against South Africa in the opening T20I of the 3-match series picked up 4 wickets that saw her get on the list to 100 T20I wickets. She’d also revealed that it was a milestone she wanted to get to and having been stuck on 99 T20I didn’t want to be stuck on it longer and expressed her happiness to now being a part of the club. She’d quoted, “It was a milestone of mine. I felt like I can’t retire until I get these two wickets, no way, so I am really happy to be a part of that club and get it out the way.”

The 37-year-old pacer isn’t done yet as she quoted, “I am willing to do whatever it takes to play all of those eight games. I will give it everything I have got for every game, I will certainly not hold back, and I will have the gold medal in mind every single time. If it means I break at the end, I break, but I will certainly… it will take a lot for me to not be there.”

There’s no doubt that Katherine Brunt puts in her 100% each time she wears an England shirt and her statement above is more than just words. It clears the intent and energy she’s got that she takes no time in injecting the same into others. From the team’s perspective, she said, “I don’t think anyone has stopped thinking about the Commonwealth Games from when we were first told we would be in.”

Also Read:  Complete Schedule of 2022 Commonwealth Games Cricket Qualifier

The mindset and the intent from England is very clear, to go all-out. England with their squad made a brave call to drop Tammy Beaumont at the top who’s not being firing enough and roped in a couple of inexperienced youngsters who can be more aggressive and free to play during the Games. England has looked like a side waiting for the Games to start and look set with their paperwork, but there’ll remain a question mark on whether they’ve been the best preparation going into the Games or a T20I more that would give game time to the rookies would do justice.

England playing 3 T20I’s against South Africa in their ongoing multi-format series is just about right for their buildup heading into the Games starting later this month. Bryony Smith made a return to the English side and got a game straight away, but she’s not got the numbers she would want and there’s a lack of game time now. England should also look at handing debuts to Alice Capsey and Freya Kemp to avoid them having butterflies in their stomach when they play at the Games.

England’s Cricket Squad for Commonwealth Games

Heather Knight (c), Maia Bouchier, Katherine Brunt, Alice Capsey, Kate Cross, Freya Davies, Sophia Dunkley, Sophie Ecclestone, Sarah Glenn, Amy Jones, Freya Kemp, Nat Sciver, Bryony Smith, Issy Wong, Danni Wyatt.

Know the Complete Squad and Schedule of the Commonwealth Games, click here

Loves all things female cricket

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here