New Zealand Women’s squad for home-series against Bangladesh announced

The New Zealand women’s team are scheduled to play a historic 6-match white-ball bilateral series against Bangladesh in their forthcoming fixture. The tour commences on the 2nd of December with the 3-match Twenty20 International (T20I) series and will conclude with the 3rd and final One-Day International (ODI) on the 17th of the month.

Suzie Bates and Amelia Kerr. PC: Getty Images
Suzie Bates and Amelia Kerr. PC: Getty Images

New Zealand Cricket (NZC) in their lead-up to the series announced a New Zealand XI squad featuring 7 players with international experience to be a part of the 2 warm-up matches; a 50-over and T20 game at the Bert Sutcliffe Oval in Lincoln and have now announced their squad of 15 that’ll take on Bangladesh.

New Zealand’s ODI Squad :

Sophie Devine (C), Suzie Bates, Eden Carson, Lauren Down, Maddy Green, Brooke Halliday, Hayley Jensen, Fran Jonas, Amelia Kerr, Jess Kerr, Jess McFadyen, Molly Penfold, Hannah Rowe,

New Zealand’s T20I squad :

Sophie Devine (C), Suzie Bates, Eden Carson, Lauren Down, Maddy Green, Brooke Halliday, Hayley Jensen, Fran Jonas, Amelia Kerr, Jess Kerr, Jess McFadyen, Georgia Plimmer, Lea Tahuhu

18-year-old, Izzy Gaze happens to be the only omission from the New Zealand squad that recently toured the West Indies for an 8-match white-ball bilateral series. Izzy Gaze in the squad is replaced by 31-year-old, Jess McFadyen, whose long-awaited debut is finally now just around the corner.

Jess McFadyen, having earned a central contract last year was a part of the New Zealand team that toured England last summer and mid this year as well for the Commonwealth Games. After having missed out on the West Indies squad selection, the debut day kept postponing, but surely not anymore.

Also Read:  3rd ODI: Bangladesh v New Zealand | Squads | Players to watch | Fantasy Playing XI | Live Streaming

Head coach, Ben Sawyer, on Jess’ inclusion said, “Debuting for your country is always a special moment, so we’re delighted to be welcoming Jess into the side for what will be an exciting series. Jess brings great energy. when we worked together at the Commonwealth Games I was really impressed with what she brought to the team environment, and she has good experience with the bat, especially in that middle order.

“The objective is always to go out and win games of cricket but we also want to make sure we prepare thoroughly for the World Cup next year. We used the recent series in the West Indies to try different combinations with bat and ball and we also want to do that with the wicketkeepers; we want to see what Jess can bring to the team.

“We’re also in a fortunate position that we have a New Zealand Development team touring India, which Izzy (Gaze) is involved in, so we’re able to give both players experience in different conditions and against different opposition.”

Bangladesh Women’s tour of New Zealand 2022 – Schedule

DATE EVENT VENUE TIME (IST)
02-Dec-2022 1st T20I Christchurch 11:30 AM
04-Dec-2022 2nd T20I Dunedin 6:30 AM
07-Dec-2022 3rd T20I Queenstown 6:30 AM
11-Dec-2022 1st ODI Wellington 3:30 AM
14-Dec-2022 2nd ODI Napier 6:30 AM
18-Nov-2022 3rd ODI Hamilton 3:30 AM

The 3-match ODI series will be a part of the International Cricket Council (ICC) Women’s Championship Cycle 2022/23-25 which sees hosts, New Zealand with a defeat and a couple of wins seeded 4th with 4 points following their recent series win in the West Indies.

Also Read:  Amelia Kerr, Kate Anderson and Suzie Bates win big at New Zealand Cricket Awards

While the series will be New Zealand’s first on home soil under newly-appointed head coach, Ben Sawyer, for Bangladesh it’ll be a first in nearly 8 months as the sides’ last ODI outing dates back to early this year when they toured New Zealand for their ODI World Cup campaign.

(Quotes Sourced from New Zealand Cricket Media Release)

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here