Who is 18-year old Darcie Brown who made her International debut for Australia?

On Tuesday, the 18-year old right-arm quick bowler from Kapunda, South Australia, made her debut in the second T20I that was played between Australia and New Zealand at Napier.

Darcie Brown in action. PC: AusWomenCricket / Twitter
Darcie Brown in action. PC: AusWomenCricket / Twitter

Darcie Brown is on her maiden Australian tour after impressing during the Rebel WBBL and Women’s National Cricket League this season. Brown had an outstanding first season for the Adelaide Strikers that saw her claim the Young Gun award. She replaced fellow speedster Tayla Vlaeminck in the Australia XI, with Vlaeminck being permitted to play only a few matches in the on-going series due to injury concerns.

Watch Darcie Brown receiving her debut cap

The South Australian quickie certainly embraced her maiden T20 International, unleashing her raw pace and bounce on New Zealand’s swashbuckling top order, nudging the 120kph mark. She gave away just 10 runs in her first three overs, however, she went for 16 in her final over, when the Player of the Match Frances Mackay gave her the taste of competitive international cricket. Brown had the last laugh though as she got the better of Mackay on the very last ball of her spell.

Talking about Brown’s debut, Aussie southpaw Beth Mooney to Cricket Australia said, “Brown’s experience bowling to the world’s most devastating top-order batters in that competition (WBBL) had prepared her well for the step up to the international stage. It’s a sign of where Australian cricket is at the moment, we can bring someone in who has played in the Big Bash against the best players in the world and she came out and did not look out of place at all. We’re extremely pleased for Darcie and hopefully, we see more of that in the next few years. It didn’t even look like a debut for her, she held herself really well and looked like she had been out there for years. It’s a very special day when you get to make your debut and wear green and gold. She was a little bit nervous but she’s got some South Australian friends there who will look after her, and Megan Schutt did a good cap presentation which would have calmed her down a bit. Hopefully, she is proud of herself and her performance because that will be one to remember.”

Also Read:  1st ODI: Ellyse, Alyssa and Ashleigh lead Australia to a Record Breaking Victory

For more such latest updates and news around women’s cricket, follow us on Twitter and Instagram.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here