1st T20I – Ashleigh Gardner’s 73* helps Aussies take lead in the series by 1-0

In the first T20 between Australia and New Zealand, all eyes were on Ellyse Perry as she was playing an international match after 390 days. But Ashleigh Gardner’s unbeaten 73 alongside Perry’s winning runs helped their side claim victory in the opening game of the series.

Ashleigh Gardner. PC: bbc.com
Ashleigh Gardner. PC: bbc.com

After winning the toss, the visitors had opted to chase, putting the white ferns to bat first. Amy Satterthwaite was the top scorer for NZ women with her 40 off 31 balls. But Jess Jonassen’s 3-wicket-haul helped restrict the hosts New Zealand to a low total.

Aussies were chasing an easy score of 131 in 120 balls as they had restricted the New Zealand Women well. But three players from their top order were dismissed early as they were stranded at 14/3. Captain Meg Lanning put up some quick runs before she departed. Gardner and Perry were the star of the show as they put up a 71 run stand for the fifth wicket.

New Zealand’s efforts to take down Australia were appreciable as the sisters’ duo – Jess Kerr and Amelia Kerr took 2 wickets and 1 wicket respectively.

This match also proved to be the first match since 2015 where Perry wasn’t handed the ball to bowl.

“I guess we just have so many bowlers for Meg to choose from. There’s always plenty of nerves, but it was good to get out there with Meg,” Gardner said.

“Knowing that we were only a couple of big overs away from getting back on top, that’s what I and Meg kept talking about, there was one over there that we just needed to capitalize on and I think she did that with the first Amelia Kerr over,” she added

“She has obviously missed a little bit of cricket but she has a lot of experience – it’s nice to have her back,” said Australian skipper Lanning

Also Read:  Australia squad for New Zealand Series Announced, Darcie Brown and Hannah Darlington Called In

With Australia aiming to clinch the series and New Zealand aiming to level it, the second T20 will be played in Napier on Tuesday.

For more such latest news and updates around women’s cricket, follow us on Twitter and Instagram.

Vaishnavi Iyer

I’m a Senior Masters student pursuing Journalism and Mass Communication. An all time Cricket enthusiast. I could never play the game but always loved watching it, and now writing about it!

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here