Australia’s Squad for India tour announced, Alyssa Healy to Lead for 5 T20I Matches

The highly awaited, Australia’s tour of India, will see the fiery rivalry between the two sides for the 4th time come under the spotlight this year and Cricket Australia (CA) for the series have announced their squad of 15 with a bunch of unexpected omissions and inclusions.

Player Profile of Alyssa Healy in Women's Cricket World Cup 2022. PC: FemaleCricket.com
Player Profile of Alyssa Healy in Women’s Cricket World Cup 2022. PC: FemaleCricket.com

As reported earlier, with Meg Lanning not available for the series as she continues to be on her break away from the game, newly appointed vice-captain, Alyssa Healy, has been given the captaincy duties and will have all-rounder, Tahlia McGrath serving as her deputy.

Australia for their series against India have dropped Amanda Jade Wellington and following Rachael Haynes’ retirement and Meg Lanning’s absence, have roped in an uncapped trio in Phoebe Litchfield, Kim Garth and Heather Graham.

Schedule: Australia to play 5 T20Is against India from 9 to 20th December. PC: Getty Images
Schedule: Australia to play 5 T20Is against India from 9 to 20th December. PC: Getty Images

Australia’s squad for the tour of India :

Alyssa Healy (C), Tahlia McGrath (VC), Darcie Brown, Nicola Carey, Ashleigh Gardner, Kim Garth, Heather Graham, Grace Harris, Jess Jonassen, Alana King, Phoebe Litchfield, Beth Mooney, Ellyse Perry, Megan Schutt, Annabel Sutherland

While Amanda Jade Wellington’s shocking omission from the sides tour of India is a serious overlook, it to an extent is understandable as Heather Graham adds a lot of value with the bat and hence is the first pick. There’s got to be clarity on questionable omissions of very expected replacements in the batting unit as both Georgia Redmayne and Erin Burns have missed the cut.

In a like-to-like replacement, Erin Burns’ for her experience was in the mix for the sides tour of India, but with selectors continuing to invest in youngsters, it wasn’t to be for Burns. The big question mark remains around Georgia Redmayne’s future as the opener and wicketkeeper-batter in the past didn’t get a lot of game time with Rachael Haynes in the XI, but not a lot has seemed to change for Redmayne following Haynes’ retirement as she still continues to be overlooked from the national side.

The undone reasoning behind Amanda Jade Wellington and Georgia Redmayne’s omissions is learnt to be that the duo were in consideration for selection, but selectors wanted them to get some games in the Women’s National Cricket League (WNCL).

Also Read:  Meg Lanning and co. aiming for Gold at Birmingham Commonwealth

Former Irish cricket, Kim Garth’s inclusion is a welcoming one as Tayla Vlaeminck continues to be on her road to recovery healing from a foot injury. The side previously had Stella Campbell, Maitlan Brown and Hannah Darlington in the frame for the role, but haven’t looked absolute ready just yet in the shortest format.

Australia Women’s tour of India 2022 Schedule

DATE EVENT TIME (IST) VENUE
09-12-2022 1st T20I 7:00 PM
D.Y. Patil Stadium
11-12-2022 2nd T20I 7:00 PM
14-12-2022 3rd T20I 7:00 PM
CCI-Brabourne Stadium
17-12-2022 4th T20I 7:00 PM
20-12-2022 5th T20I 7:00 PM
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here