“Arey vo referee mere peeche pade hain, bat check kar rahe hain” says Harmanpreet Kaur

Harmanpreet Kaur, the Mumbai Indians’ captain, demonstrated her batting brilliance with an unbroken innings of 95 runs, leading her team to a spectacular seven-wicket victory over the Gujarat Giants in a Women’s Premier League (WPL) match.

"Arey vo referee mere peeche pade hain, bat check kar rahe hain" says Harmanpreet Kaur
“Arey vo referee mere peeche pade hain, bat check kar rahe hain” says Harmanpreet Kaur

Harmanpreet Kaur’s innings of 95*(48) included 10 fours and 5 sixes at a staggering strike rate of 197.92 and was also the 3rd highest individual score in WPL, followed by Sophie Devine’s 99 and Alyssa Healy’s 96*. She also won her 5th Player of the Match award in the WPL, the most by any player.

Talking about the match, Gujarat Giants were 150/2 in 14 overs following Beth Mooney’s 35-ball 66 and her vital partnership alongside Dayalan Hemalatha, who eventually departed for 74 off 40 balls. However, the Giants were not able to capitalize in the last 6 overs, scoring only 40 runs and also losing 5 wickets. While the projected score at the 14-over mark was nearly 210, the Giants would have felt that they were 15-20 runs short at the innings break.

On the contrary, Mumbai, chasing 191, didn’t start well and were trailing at 100/3 at the 14-over mark when captain Harmanpreet Kaur teed off scoring the next 91 runs in just 29 deliveries, at a brisk rate of 15.6 rpo, helping her team advance to the knockouts with a game still to be played.

Harmanpreet’s power-hitting was so impressive in the play against the Giants that the match referee had to inspect her bat, according to the MI captain during the post-match interview!

Harmanpreet revealed that she batted with her practice bat because it provided a better grip, but the match official checked her bat after a devastating knock against the Giants.

Also Read:  Player's Predict Record-Makers of WPL 2024

“When we were practicing, I was using this bat (the one she played with), my match bat was different. But my grip was a bit loose with the latter. Then, I thought I should use my practice bat only,” Harmanpreet said.

When a fellow anchor jokes that she will keep Harmanpreet’s bat for herself, the Mumbai captain adds that the match referee looked at her bat.

“Arey vo referee mere peeche pade hain, bat check kar rahe hain, jaise pata nahi kya daala hai bat me (The match referee is behind me to check my bat as if I’ve put something in it),” Harmanpreet said during a Jio Cinema conversation post that blinder of an innings.

Harmanpreet Kaur was vital to the team’s success last year, having scored 281 runs at an average of 40.14 and a strike rate of 135.09. Though Harmanpreet wasn’t in the best of forms in the lead-up to this WPL season, she has looked in sublime touch. She also missed a couple of games due to a niggle mid-season but continues to strike well, amassing 235 runs from 5 games this season.

Fans on X were delighted to see Harmanpreet Kaur return to her best with the bat and expressed their excitement by hailing the star batter’s vintage form. Here are some of the reactions:

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here