“It was sort of a proper batter’s innings” – Jonathan Batty on Deepti Sharma

In a thrilling encounter between UP Warriorz and Delhi Capitals in match 15 of the ongoing 02 edition of the Women’s Premier League (WPL), Alyssa Healy leading UP Warriorz, elected to bat first after winning the toss against Delhi Capitals. The Warriorz innings saw a steady start despite the early loss of Kiran Navgire in the second over as Deepti Sharma and Healy steadied the ship with a crucial partnership before Healy fell to Alice Capsey at 29 runs. While Deepti added runs to the tally, wickets continued to tumble and the only other batter to score in double-digit figures was Grace Harris (14) as the Warriorz managed to put on 138/8 in their allotted overs.

"It was sort of a proper batter's innings" - Jonathan Batty on Deepti Sharma
“It was sort of a proper batter’s innings” – Jonathan Batty on Deepti Sharma

Chasing the target of 139, Delhi Capitals started slow until Shafali Verma was dismissed by Saima Thakor for 15 runs. Meg Lanning and Alice Capsey built a promising partnership, but Deepti Sharma’s brilliance with both bat and ball turned the tide in favor of UP Warriorz. With a dramatic collapse in the penultimate and final over, the Capitals fell short by just one run, being bundled out for 137.

Deepti Sharma’s stellar all-round performance of 59 runs and 4 wickets earned her the Player of the Match award, guiding UP Warriorz to a crucial victory.

Post-match Jonathan Batty, Head Coach, Delhi Capitals, and Grace Harris, All-rounder, UP Warriorz addressed a press conference at the Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi.

Reflecting on the team’s performance, Batty acknowledged the volatility inherent in the sport. He reflected on the chaos of the match’s closing overs, emphasizing cricket’s unpredictable nature. Despite having several opportunities to clinch victory earlier, Batty acknowledged that the team struggled to maintain composure under pressure, leading to a nail-biting finish.

Also Read:  Mumbai Indians tops the table and pushes RCB out of Top 3 in the points table

Batty further highlighted the standout performances from key players. He lauds the exemplary bowling efforts of Titas Sadhu, Arundhati Reddy, and Radha Yadav, highlighting their pivotal roles. In a testimony to the team’s depth, Batty highlighted the remarkable progress of young talent, Titas.
He uncovers her journey of perseverance and improvement, praising her dedication to fitness and consistency. With optimism, he predicts a bright future for Sadhu as she continues to evolve as a cricketer.

He stated, “We did lots of really good things during that game, even during the bowling innings when we bowled really, really well…. She (Titas) is going to be an absolute superstar if she keeps improving the way she is.”

Batty reserved high praise for Deepti Sharma’s batting prowess, describing her innings as a masterclass in risk management. He applauded her ability to nullify opponents’ strategies and construct a solid batting foundation, comparing her efforts to the seasoned veteran, Meg Lanning.

He stated, “She managed the risk in her innings very early, very similar to how Meg played as well. It was sort of a proper batter’s innings, I would say.”

Batty anticipates the team’s upcoming encounter with Royal Challengers Bangalore. While acknowledging the formidable opposition, he gives confidence in his team’s ability to rise to the occasion. Drawing inspiration from past victories, he expressed optimism about the team’s prospects in the upcoming match.

Reflecting on the team’s performance, Grace Harris emphasized the collective effort that contributed to their success. She commended her teammates for their exceptional performance and highlighted the strategic decisions that shaped their victory.
She said, “I thought our spinners did bowl exceptionally well. Sophie Ecclestone and Deepti Sharma, I thought she had an all-around outstanding game.”

Also Read:  Who is Anjali Sarvani | Bio | Stats | UP Warriorz Player

Harris reflected on her own performance, acknowledging the challenges she faced leading up to the game. Despite personal setbacks, she demonstrated resilience and determination, contributing positively to the team’s success. Discussing the crucial moment of bowling the last over, she mentioned that there was a discussion on her or Tahlia McGrath as the option, finally falling on her.

Despite not requesting the ball, she embraced the challenge with a positive mindset, focusing on delivering her best performance for the team’s benefit. Feeling unprepared as she hadn’t bowled in that game, yet there was a sense of readiness in her to engage once given the opportunity.

She mentioned, “When Midge (Alyssa Healy) said, warm up, I was like, warm up? Mark, it’s cold out here and I’ve got six balls only, so just embrace every opportunity just roll with it. Just be grateful that you get to have a crack that’s how I rolled into it and came off.”

Harris praised Deepti Sharma for her outstanding performance in the match. She highlighted Sharma’s remarkable contributions with both bat and bowl as she took a hat-trick and scored a half-century, further acknowledging her growth and consistency as a player.

Reflecting on Deepti Sharma’s batting prowess, Harris emphasized her efforts to improve her strike rate and play attacking shots. She commended Sharma’s dedication and improvement, highlighting her valuable contributions to the team’s batting lineup, while also recognizing Sharma’s adaptability in different batting positions.

She remarked, “A hat trick and 50 in the game I think that’s very well played, Deepti. No, we didn’t really I didn’t realize that at all actually we probably definitely will be celebrating that with her.”

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here