Jon Lewis is gaining valuable insights from Australia captain Alyssa Healy

England and UP Warriorz coach Jon Lewis is gaining valuable insights from Australia captain Alyssa Healy during their collaboration at the Women’s Premier League, just months before the upcoming Women’s Ashes. Lewis, who is the head coach of the UP Warriorz, naturally engages in frequent discussions with Healy, the team’s captain, as they prepare for the Ashes scheduled sometime early in 2025.

Reflecting on their partnership, Lewis stated, “We often discuss the dynamics of England-Australia cricket. I am drawing significant learnings from my work here with Alyssa.” Lewis and Healy had previously teamed up in the inaugural season of the WPL, laying the groundwork ahead of the Women’s Ashes held during the English summer.

During that series, Healy took charge of the Australian side following former captain Meg Lanning’s absence. The fiercely contested series ended in a draw at 8-8, showcasing England’s strong competition against the top-ranked team in the world.

Since then, Lanning has retired from international cricket, and Healy has assumed the role of captain permanently. Tahlia McGrath, the vice-captain of Australia, is also part of Lewis’s team at the Warriorz.

Lewis emphasized the learning experience from the previous year, stating, “I gained a lot of insights last year, which proved beneficial in the Ashes. Having the Australian captain and vice-captain in the squad is a great advantage. It provides me with valuable insights into their perspectives, and likewise, they get to understand my coaching approach.”

Acknowledging the differences between coaching a franchise and a national team, Lewis added, “I adapt my coaching style to suit the group of people I’m with. I feel like I’m learning more about them than they are about me. It’s a two-way street, and the exchange of ideas is shaping up to be a mutually beneficial experience.” With the Women’s Ashes on the horizon, Lewis is optimistic that this collaboration will contribute to England’s competitive edge in the upcoming series.

Also Read:  Twitter Reacts to Smriti Mandhana's masterclass at Chinnaswamy during the final game
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here