Shabnim Ismail wants to hit the 130kph mark

Shabnim Ismail still has the hunger to be the fastest bowler in the world. MI Vs GG post-match conference.

The Mumbai Indians led by skipper Harmanpreet Kaur notched up another convincing 5-wicket victory over Gujarat Giants to make it two out of two in their title defence campaign.

The 35-year-old South African speedster was breathing fire as she dismantled the Gujarat Giants’ top order accounting for the wickets of Harleen Deol, Veda Krishnamurthy, and the wicket of Gujarat Giants skipper Beth Mooney. The effect of the damage inflicted by the pacer was such that the Giants failed to recover and somehow managed to get their total over the 120-run mark courtesy of their 48-run 8th-wicket partnership between Kathryn Bryce and Tanuja Kanwer.

Shabnim Ismail announced her retirement from International cricket on 3rd May 2023. She was known for rattling the batters with her express pace. Until her time at the international level, she was considered as one of the quickest bowlers in the history of women’s cricket. She has picked up 191 wickets at a strike rate of 32.3 and an average of 19.95 in 126 innings in the ODI format. She has picked up 123 wickets at a strike rate of 19.3 and an average of 18.62 in 112 innings in the T20I format.

Her tally of wickets in the ODI format includes 6 four-wicket hauls and a couple of five-wicket hauls. As far as the T20I format is concerned, she has a couple of five-wicket hauls. “It all boils down to commitment. I retired from international cricket a couple of months ago, but I still have that fire in me and that passion to play cricket. I want to be one of the best in the world, which I firmly believe I am. It is about putting in the hard yards, which I am doing really well.” The veteran South African and now, the Mumbai Indians speedster speaks about her hunger and the passion to still be the best in the world, after calling her time from international cricket.

Also Read:  South Africa edge out Defending Champions England Women by 3 Wickets in a Thriller

She represented the UP Warriorz in the Inaugural edition of the WPL. However, she got limited opportunities courtesy of the overseas quota, Grace Harris was preferred ahead of the speedster courtesy of her power-hitting skills. Shabnim Ismail played just 3 matches and picked up 3 wickets in 3 innings for the UP Warriorz last season. She was released by the UP-based franchise ahead of the 2nd edition. Mumbai Indians secured her services for 1.2 crores for the 2nd edition of the tournament.

She is already having a huge impact, leading the Mumbai Indians pace attack. She has already picked up 4 wickets at a strike rate of 12 and an average of 10.5 in two innings so far for the Mumbai Indians this season. She reunited with her fellow mate Jhulan Goswami, in the Mumbai Indians camp. “She is a legend of the game. She calls me a legend of the game. She tells me to put in a little bit more and get to that 130kph mark, but I tell her this is how I’ve been for the past 16 years. We share a great amount of knowledge with each other. Issy Wong is in the lineup as well. The knowledge we share with each other helps us become more successful when we go out there and play.” Shabnim Ismail speaks about her conversations with the Mumbai Indians bowling coach Jhulan Goswami.

(Quotes sourced from Mumbai Indians Press Release)

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here