“I had this dhak dhak wala heartbeat because this is my first World Cup” – Shreyanka Patil

India has come close to winning the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in recent editions. After a runner-up finish in 2020 and semi-final appearances in 2018 and 2023, they are once again gearing up for another attempt at the coveted title.

I had this dhak dhak wala heartbeat because this is my first World Cup - Shreyanka Patil. PC: Getty
I had this dhak dhak wala heartbeat because this is my first World Cup – Shreyanka Patil. PC: Getty

For the upcoming ninth edition of the tournament, set to be held in October in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), India has assembled a squad that strikes a perfect balance between seasoned veterans and promising young talents. Among the fresh faces poised to make their World Cup debuts are Shreyanka Patil, Asha Sobhana, and Sajeevan Sajana.

One of the breakout stars of the last 12 months, Shreyanka Patil has been on a dream run. After an impressive stint with Royal Challengers Bengaluru (RCB) in the Women’s Premier League (WPL), where she claimed the Purple Cap with 13 wickets in 8 matches, Patil has become a crucial player for India. Her crowning moment came in the WPL final, where she took a four-wicket haul, including the prized scalp of former Australian captain Meg Lanning.

Reflecting on her first World Cup, Patil shared her emotions candidly saying, “When we landed in Dubai, I had this dhak dhak wala heartbeat because this is my first World Cup. And I was like ‘Oh my god, we’re already here’. I just took a deep breath. And then, when I bowl the first ball, it felt like, okay, fine. I’m here, I’m alive.”

Since her international debut against England in December 2023, Patil has played three ODIs and 12 T20Is, capturing 21 wickets, including two standout three-wicket hauls. She expressed her pride in donning the India jersey, stating, “I don’t know, it’s just a dream come true, and wearing this jersey itself is a proud moment for me, my whole family, and my coach.”

Also Read:  Bangladesh announces squad for Women's T20 World Cup 2024, Jahanara Alam makes a comeback

Asha Sobhana’s story is equally inspiring. She made history as the oldest Indian woman cricketer to debut internationally when she took the field against Bangladesh in May 2024. In the 2024 WPL, Sobhana emerged as the second-highest wicket-taker, claiming 12 wickets. Her international career, though brief so far, has been impactful, with 8 wickets in 5 matches across formats.

Speaking about her World Cup journey, Sobhana shared her mixed emotions: “A lot of mixed emotions for me. I mean, waiting for this moment for my entire life to make it to the Indian team first, then playing the World Cup in Dubai. I mean, a great moment for me and my family.”

On adjusting to the conditions in Dubai, she added:”I just wanted to read the wicket on how it’s going and how it’s behaving. While bowling and batting, it’s not very different from where we practise.”

Sajeevan Sajana burst into the limelight during the WPL 2024 when she guided Mumbai Indians to a thrilling victory in the opening match. Needing six runs off the final ball, Sajana held her nerve and smashed the ball for a maximum. She made her India debut against Bangladesh and has since played 9 matches for the national team.

Sajana spoke with gratitude about her journey: “Actually, this is not only for me, my parents and everyone who’s supporting me. My coach and all are happy, all are proud. My parents have already seen my hard work behind this success, so they are more happy.”

Adjusting to the humid conditions in Dubai has been challenging, but Sajana remains upbeat: “It’s a bit more humid than Kerala. So we have to adjust. Very excited to be playing with such legends – Harry di, Smriti, and Jemi – they are all great.”

Also Read:  Revised schedule for ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2024 Announced

With a strong squad and a blend of experience and youthful exuberance, India will be hoping to finally lift the elusive trophy in Dubai. India will kick off their World Cup campaign on October 4 against New Zealand. They will also face tough group-stage clashes with Australia, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.

India’s World Cup Squad:

Harmanpreet Kaur (captain), Smriti Mandhana (vice-captain), Shafali Verma, Deepti Sharma, Jemimah Rodrigues, Richa Ghosh (wk), Yastika Bhatia (wk), Pooja Vastrakar, Arundhati Reddy, Renuka Singh Thakur, Dayalan Hemalatha, Asha Sobhana, Radha Yadav, Shreyanka Patil, Sajeevan Sajana

Travelling Reserves: Uma Chetry (wk), Tanuja Kanwer, Saima Thakor

Non-Travelling Reserves: Raghvi Bist, Priya Mishra

(Quotes sourced from the BCCI TV)

Liked the story? Leave a comment here

Germany Women’s National Cricket Team Belgium Women’s National Cricket Team France Women’s National Cricket Team
Most Popular Female Cricketers on Instagram List of 10 Brother-Sister pair in Cricket Husband-Wife Pair in Cricket