“We are confident about lifting the T20 World Cup” – Deepti Sharma

Women athletes face unique challenges, from conditions like menstrual disorders to issues such as endometriosis and RED-S. Recently, India’s all-rounder Deepti Sharma shed light on these topics within women’s sports.

"We are confident about lifting the T20 World Cup" - Deepti Sharma
“We are confident about lifting the T20 World Cup” – Deepti Sharma

Deepti Sharma, who made her T20I debut on August 31, 2016, against Australia, following her international debut in 2014, is a significant figure in Indian cricket. Her debut came during India’s historic series win in Australia, where they triumphed 2-1.

Reflecting on balancing her game and health, she stated, “I don’t like to think about that while I am on the field because then my focus will shift, and my performance will be hampered. Obviously, it’s not easy to do that but you have to be mentally strong and keep on trying to shift your focus towards your game.”

Having been part of the Indian squad since 2014, Sharma is approaching her 10th year in international cricket. She’s the first Indian cricketer to reach 100 T20I wickets. As the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup approaches its ninth edition this October, it’s an ideal moment to reflect on her journey in the tournament.

Sharma’s T20 World Cup debut came in the 2018 edition and bagged her first wicket in the 3rd game, that of Ireland’s Gaby Lewis. Over 15 matches, she has claimed 15 wickets, with her best figures—3 for 15—coming against the West Indies in the 2023 edition. Additionally, she has accumulated 149 runs, including an unbeaten 49 against Australia in the 2020 World Cup opener.

Sharma’s dual ability with both bat and ball makes her a vital asset to the Indian team. She recently helped London Spirit claim their first title at The Hundred, contributing 212 runs and taking 8 wickets. This form will be crucial as India eyes success in the upcoming World Cup.

Also Read:  Brett Lee heaps praises on Shafali Verma

“As a team we are doing great, and like the Men’s World Cup, we are looking forward to and also confident about lifting the World Cup. Our win will mean getting two World Cups in a season. The last few months have been fruitful for us, let’s hope we continue the good work and end the trophy wait this time,” Sharma expressed.

In T20Is, Sharma has solidified herself as one of India’s most reliable bowlers. She has taken 131 wickets in 114 innings with an exceptional economy rate of 5.97. On the batting front, she has amassed 1,020 runs at a strike rate of 104.29. Her role will be pivotal in the spin-friendly conditions of the UAE, where she will lead India’s spin-dominated attack.

Sharma also highlighted the growing interest in women’s cricket in Uttar Pradesh, saying, “There is a lot of talent in UP which is coming to the fore now. Take for example Agra, one can witness there the growing number of academies and the girls getting enrolled. They are being provided good facilities too, unlike earlier when there was not much cricket played. Today, there are a number of small tournaments for girls being organised which help them in a big way. In my opinion, the greater number of matches they are able to play, the more talent will come to the forefront.”

After heartbreaking eliminations in the 2018, 2020, and 2023 editions, India is more driven than ever to claim the trophy this year. Drawn into Group A alongside strong contenders like Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka, India’s campaign kicks off on October 4th against New Zealand, followed by matches against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Australia.

Also Read:  "There definitely would've been bigger crowds in Bangladesh," Heather Knight concerned about low crowd attendance in UAE

India’s World Cup Squad:

Harmanpreet Kaur (C), Smriti Mandhana (vc), Shafali Verma, Deepti Sharma, Jemimah Rodrigues, Richa Ghosh (wk), Yastika Bhatia (wk), Pooja Vastrakar, Arundhati Reddy, Renuka Singh Thakur, Dayalan Hemalatha, Asha Sobhana, Radha Yadav, Shreyanka Patil, Sajana Sajeevan

Travelling Reserves: Uma Chetry (wk), Tanuja Kanwer, Saima Thakor

Non-Travelling Reserves: Raghvi Bist, Priya Mishra

(Quotes sourced from Times of India)

Liked the story? Leave a comment here

Sierra Leone Women’s National Cricket Team Belize Women’s National Cricket Team Namibia Women’s National Cricket Team Profile
Most Popular Female Cricketers on Instagram List of 10 Brother-Sister pair in Cricket Husband-Wife Pair in Cricket