Veda Krishnamurthy says 2020 looks exciting for women’s cricket

Veda Krishnamurthy, the batter who smashes the ball out of the park believes that the upcoming ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in Australia will be crucial for the future of Women’s cricket fraternity and says 2020 will be a very special year for women’s cricket.

Veda Krishnamurthy
Veda Krishnamurthy. Pic Credits: Kannada/News18

Veda Krishnamurthy made her debut in 2011 and has always made an impact when playing for the side, is one of India’s key batters. She has featured in over 100 international games and has scored over 1,600 runs. 2019 has been a decent year for Krishnamurthy in T20 cricket. She made her career-best score in T20Is, 57* in India’s 5-0 clean sweep of West Indies at home.

She hopes she can perform just as well in Australia. “2020 looks very exciting for women’s cricket,” she told Times of India.

“We have the Women’s T20 World Cup coming up this year, followed by the 50-over World Cup that will be held early next year. It is going to be a very busy and exciting year for us. There is a lot at stake, not just for those playing cricket and in the team, but for those who are vying for a spot to play for the nation.”

She adds “I have ended the last year well, so I hope I carry forward the same form. Since the World Cup is very close, I hope to continue all that I’ve been doing for the past three-four months. We’ve got a core group of members who have been playing together for a while. I am hoping that everything works for us.”

Also Read:  Australian women's cricket team reach out to firefighters and bushfire affected communities

Krishnamurthy feels India’s trump card in the T20 World Cup will be their spinners, who have performed well in the last couple of years.  “I think our biggest strength is our spinners, they are superior compared to the teams across the world. Our spinners bowl most of the 20 overs, so if our spinners get it right, it will work most in our favor,” she said. “Given the firepower that we have in our batting, a good show by the spinners can help boost and complement that.”

There is a lot at stake, not just the current cricketers or the future of women’s cricket but also the aspiring players. She also acknowledged that the defending champions Australia would be a tough competitor in this contest. “Australia has been so dominating in the past few years and they are the defending champions playing in their home conditions. They are going to be our biggest competition. But, since it is T20, it is also about who clicks on that day. It depends on the performance on that particular day,” she added.

The women’s T20 World Cup begins on 21 February with India playing the opener against hosts Australia.

News Source: ICC

Also Read:

Final Schedule For ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2020 Announced, Timings, Venue, Fixtures, Groups

A student who is passionate about cricket enjoys writing and follows sports in general.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here