“I have full faith in my team, the upcoming one and half years is important,” says Harmanpreet Kaur

Team India faced a humiliating loss against host and defending Champions Australia at the T20 World Cup 2020 finals on March 8.

Australia Women's Cricket team
Australia Women’s Cricket team. Pic Credits: ICC/Getty Images

After being defeated by 85 runs at the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground, the Captain of the team Harmanpreet Kaur said that they will be more focused and have a better approach to big matches ahead.

“We just need to think of how we are going to play with more focus in big games because sometimes, we are not able to give our best in important games. I hope upcoming years will give us a lot of glories,” Kaur said at the post-match presentation ceremony as quoted by IANS.

It was the first time that the Women in Blue entered the finals. While Australia had been 4-time champions before this year’s victory.

Australian team carried their experience with them. Team India got an exposure to the finals and knew that they have a lot to learn.

“The way we played in the league stages, it was outstanding. I still have a lot of faith in my team. The upcoming one and half years is important. The future is important for us,” Kaur said on a positive note.

India dropped two catches at crucial moments which assisted Australian openers to have a stunning partnership of 115 runs that lasted for 12 overs.

India look dejected after the ICC Women's T20 Cricket World Cup Final match between India and Australia at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on March 08, 2020 in Melbourne, Australia.
India look dejected after the ICC Women’s T20 Cricket World Cup Final match between India and Australia at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on March 08, 2020 in Melbourne, Australia.

Talking about the missed opportunities, Kaur said, “It was unfortunate to drop those catches today. We need to stay calm and focus on the areas we need to improve, especially the fielding.”

“We know we weren’t able to win the game because of our fielding. We need to keep these things in mind.”

Also Read:  "Batters can make more use of the crease and play those cuts and pulls," Soniya Dabir

“The future is great for us. We need to trust ourselves. I trust this team. The first game was very good, it gave us a lot of confidence. We have to keep working hard. We are in the right line, every year we are improving,” the Indian skipper added.

Dejected Indian cricketers after Final Loss. Pic Credits: ICC
Dejected Indian cricketers after Final Loss. Pic Credits: ICC

Female Cricket is a digital news portal that aims to spread, share and celebrate the journey of our female cricketers around the world.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here