Summary: South Africa beat Pakistan by 17 runs to enter the semi-finals

South Africa and Pakistan locked horns against each other in an all-important contest on Sunday at Sydney. playing their third match, both the teams desperately needed a win to make a strong case for themselves to book a semi-final berth.

Laura Wolvaardt
Laura Wolvaardt. Pic Credits: ICC

Winning the toss and electing to bat first, South Africa managed to put up 136-6 in 20 overs, courtesy Laura Wolvaardt’s (53) delightful half-century. after losing their openers cheaply, the Proteas looked to consolidate. Marizanne Kapp (31) and Mignon du Preez (17) stitched a useful 37-run partnership to ensure that they set a foundation for Wolvaardt. For Pakistan, it was Diana Baig again, who has been exceptional in the tournament so far, that provided early breakthroughs. Baig sent the opening pair of Lizelle Lee (4), who scored a century in her previous match and skipper Dane van Niekerk (3) back to the dugout inside the powerplay.

Chasing 137, Pakistan required their batters to do the job for their team and strengthen their chances of entering the semi-finals. The opening pair of Muneeba Ali (12) and Javeria Khan (31) got off to starts but failed to capitalize. South Africans bowled well to pick up wickets at regular intervals and did not allow the opposition to settle. All-rounder Aliya Riaz who scored an unbeaten 39 (32) looked to take the game away from the opposition but could not find perfect partners to help her see her side through. Nonkululeko, Shabnim Ismail, and Dane van Niekerk picked up one wicket each. in the end, Pakistan were reduced to 119-5 in 20 overs, losing the match by 17 runs.

Also Read:  Preview: 3rd match: Sri Lanka vs New Zealand: Head to Head, Playing XI, Pitch Report, Injury Update, MyTeamXI Fantasy Tips

Laura Wolvaardt bagged the player of the match for her match-winning knock of 53.

With this win, South Africa pocketed two important points and have been invincible so far in the group stage. Pakistan would be disappointed on having lost the game. They need a miracle to take them to the semi-finals.

On Tuesday, South Africa will take on West Indies at Sydney, while Pakistan will face off Thailand on the same day at the same venue.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here