Summary: Match 10 – Alyssa Healy and Beth Mooney steer Australia to 86-run win over Bangladesh

Riding on twin half-centuries by wicket-keeper Alyssa Healy (83) and Beth Mooney (81 not out) at the top of the order, Australia posted a mammoth 189-1 in 20 overs against Bangladesh on Thursday at Melbourne.

Alyssa Healy and Beth Mooney celebrate their record partnership
Alyssa Healy and Beth Mooney celebrate their record partnership. Pic Credits: ICC

Winning the toss and electing to bat first, the hosts made a mockery of Bangladeshi bowling as they kept Salma Khatun and co. at bay. Healy scored her second half-century of the tournament to set a strong foundation for her team. Mooney was the perfect partner in crime, as the two simply toyed with the Bangladesh bowlers. The duo stitched a 151-run partnership in 16.6 overs to wreck havoc in the Bangladeshi camp. Ashleigh Gardner then joined the party as she played a nine-ball cameo to smack 22 that included three boundaries and a six. The opposition was clueless and had no answer to the Aussie onslaught. Skipper Salma Khatun was the lone warrior with the ball as she managed to pick up a solitary wicket.

Chasing a daunting target of 190 was never going to be easy. The Bangladeshis did not get off to the best of starts and kept losing wickets at regular intervals. Fargana Hoque top scored with 36 (35) but she could not findable allies who could support her in the run chase. The Aussie bowlers came running at their opposition and did not let lose even for a single moment in the game. Quickie Megan Schutt was the pick of the bowlers as she scalped 3-21 in her four overs and received good support from slow left-arm bowler Jess Jonassen who struck with 2-17 in her four overs. Bangladesh was dwindled down for a meager 103-9 in 20 overs, losing the match by 86 runs.

Having won three out of three games Australia moves up to number two in the points table, while Bangladesh is yet to open its account, having lost both its games. On Saturday, Bangladesh will lock horns against New Zealand at Melbourne, while Australia will take on its trans-Tasmanian rival at the same venue on Monday. The winner of the match between Australia and New Zealand is most likely to make it to the semi-final.

I am a former cricketer having represented Mumbai University at All India University level. I was a part of MCA probables for the U-19 and U-23 age group. I have been an avid cricket writer for the last five years. Currently I am pursuing my Ph.D from IIT Bombay.

Also Read:  5 South African Players to Watch out for in Women’s T20 World Cup 2020
Join Our WhatsApp Channel Join Now
Follow us on Instagram Join Now

Liked the story? Leave a comment here